Vista not starting - HELP

technophobe1 12:34 11 Apr 2009

Vista will not start after my computer crashed a week ago. When it is loading there is no windows logo and the screen goes blank (or goes to repair). But start-up repair can not repair the computer automatically. It tells me to send info to Windows, which I do. I have attempted the scan from the command prompt, but it says that "resource protection could not perform the requested option". I have tried to restore; it says that no restore points have been created on the computer's system disk. If I try to create a restore point, it says that the computer is running in a limited diagnostic state and the restore operation cannot be reversed (help topics are not available in this state).

Unfortunately, I have not backed up enough of my files, and I really need to use my Acer aspire 2920. What can I do? HELP!

birdface 13:31 11 Apr 2009

Try the restore in safe mode.[Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.]Or maybe last good configuration.

technophobe1 16:36 11 Apr 2009

started it in safe mode and it started... Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?