Vista Network Mapping Woes

ShanghaiDave 14:40 05 Sep 2007

I have recently had a new laptop that came with Vista, I'm not at all keen on it, but decided to give it a fair go.

My main problem however is Vista seems incapable of connecting to network drives (NAS) and also seems incapable of storing passwords.

If I enter \\nameofdevice into explorer all the available shares on my network drive appear. However on the actual mapping Vista has issues with logging in. My NAS only has one username, a guest account and each of the shares have their own individual password. So the username is always the same, the password being the only thing changing. On the first attempt to enter the password (and checking the remember tickbox) I simply get the username/password dialog - as if the details were wrong. Enter the details again and it connects. (This isn't a typo error btw).

The network drive is then connected and that is fine for the current session. Restart and I get a popup telling me that Vista was unable to reconnect all mapped network drives.

If I then enter 'computer' and try to enter the mapped drive I am presented with the username/password dialog. The username Vista has changed to computername/username... which is annoying considering I specifically told Vista to store my username/password. Never the less I enter the correct username and password. At this stage it will not connect to the network drive, never mind how many attempts you make. The only way to reconnect is to remove the mapped drive and start from scratch again.

I've also tried using a program called network drive manager (which I use on all other 3 XP computers within the house).

I can only presume this is a Vista problem because all other XP computers connect to the nas with no issues, two xp pro and one xp home.

Any help would be appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?