Vista and memory

Madrat 23:46 03 Mar 2008

Running XP with 256mb or less of ram is painfully slow, would I be rite in thinking that Vista with 512mb or less would be just as painfully slow?

Totally-braindead 23:59 03 Mar 2008

Worse - much worse.

Totally-braindead 00:03 04 Mar 2008

And you need a good fast processor as well.

Personally I think you need a dual core processor with a minimum 1 gig of memory and a seperate graphics card, or if you are using onboard graphics you need 1.5 - 2 gig of RAM.

Don't get me wrong it will run with less but its so slow you could paint the house while waiting for it to load up (slight exaggeration there).

Madrat 00:08 04 Mar 2008

Hmm after reading some review I realy dont like the sound of vista. I was thinking of getting a lap top but I would rather get a used one with XP

Totally-braindead 00:28 04 Mar 2008

In my opinion it depends how much you can spend.

If you buy a reasonable laptop with a good chunk of memory and a dual core processor then it will run Vista fine.

But I've seen 2 cheap laptops, about the £299 mark, with poor Celeron processors and little memory and they crawled. Even adding another 512mb to one didn't make that much difference. It did speed up but not as much as I hoped and personally it was far too slow for me. And they both had Vista Basic too.

Be all means buy a Vista laptop but do buy a reasonable spec one, I've seen some not bad ones for maybe £400-500.

Totally-braindead 00:37 04 Mar 2008

My advice. Go to the likes of PC World, see some demos on different laptops including how long it takes to startup fully. One of my friends that has the cheap laptop and that I added more RAM to takes a good couple of minutes to fully boot up and before the RAM upgrade it was more like 4 minutes and thats terribly long when you want to just use the damn thing.
Once you've done that make your own mind up.

Madrat 00:39 04 Mar 2008

Thanks I think thats the best Idea. I hate a slow PC

Totally-braindead 00:45 04 Mar 2008

Dell I think still do XP laptops but you'd have to check their website to be sure as Microsoft was stopping it on new machines and I cannot recall if its come into affect yet.
Novatech still sell them though click here and I like Novatech a great deal but have only ever bought PCs off them and never a laptop.

crosstrainer 07:52 04 Mar 2008

2GB minimum for Vista 32 Bit home premium.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone