Vista laptop won't boot - help!

Nick052 13:00 24 Nov 2008

Hi,

I have had my Vista laptop for just over a year. Yesterday, Vista crashed and it wouldn't let me log off or shutdown or restart. So I held the power button down to turn it off.

Upon restart, I got the usual "Windows did not shutdown properly" and I picked "Boot normally" as I always do.

However, the laptop hangs on the Microsoft Corporation screen (with the yellow bar moving across) and never gets any further.

I tried to turn it off and on again, but I then got a different message, saying something about a hardware or software problem and that I could insert my installation disc and choose "repair windows". However, as Vista came pre-installed, I do not have this disc.

So, I have tried booting the PC in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Save Mode with Command Prompt and also "Last Known Good Configuration". None of these work - they also get to a certain stage and the laptop just stops.

The hard drive is still ticking during this stage and the light is on. But it does not matter how long I leave it.

I have a feeling the hard disk needs scanning (using scandisk) or I might need to do a system restore. But I cannot get to a commmand prompt, nor into windows!

Anyone have any ideas?

Anything much appreciated. I do have a 3 year warranty but I would prefer to try and fix this myself first.

BurrWalnut 13:06 24 Nov 2008

As Windows was preinstalled, you should have a Repair option in the Advanced Boot options. Restart the computer and press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. Look for Advanced Boot Options or similar wording then go to Repair your computer. You need to run a Startup Repair and/or chkdsk from the command prompt option.

Optionally, download and create a Recovery Disk (32-bit x86 or 64-bit x64) here click here After downloading the ISO image to your hard disk, burn it to a CD (a DVD is not necessary as the 32-bit version is 120MB and the 64-bit version is 148MB). On the CD, there are two folders (Boot and Sources) and one file Bootmgr.

It cannot install Vista but it repairs an installation in the same way as the Vista DVD, i.e. boot from the disk, choose ‘Press any key to boot from CD/DVD’ and Vista will start to load the Windows files. Select your language, time, currency and keyboard then click ‘Repair’ in the bottom left corner. There are five choices within Repair: Startup Repair, System Restore, Backup Restore, Memory Test and Command Prompt.

Nick052 09:22 26 Nov 2008

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the F8 menu, managed to find Advanced Boot Options, but there isn't one to repair windows.

So I will try downloading the recovery CD tonight - how do I know which version of Vista I have? I have Windows Vista Home Premium on a Medion dual-core laptop - will this be 32 bit or 64 bit?

Cheers.

pk46 11:26 26 Nov 2008

Every computer that has a OS preinstalled will have system recovery consult your computer manual
the recovery system is on a partition on the drive the only way this wont work is if the drive has had a full format if this has happened under your 3 year warranty send it back or ask for a recovery disk as you will require the MOBO drivers as well.

Nick052 13:10 26 Nov 2008

Yes, I definitely have a partition on D:/ that is designed for System restore. I am reluctant to do a full restore though as I will obviously lose all my data then. There might be a boot option though.

Nick052 17:30 27 Nov 2008

Hi,

The only recovery system I have is to do a full restore so I lose all my stuff.

I have tried downloading the ISO image and have tried to boot from it. It says it is reading the Windows files but then the computer restarts and I just get the "Microsoft Corporation" thing again with the never ending scroll bar. It never lets me get to any other screen so I cannot repair Windows.

Any ideas?

Nick052 20:25 27 Nov 2008

Eventually managed to get recovery disk to work, and althought it said it couldn't repair, I ran a chkdsk, restarted and the PC is fine now.

BurrWalnut 09:21 28 Nov 2008

I'm glad you got there in the end, thanks for posting back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?