Vista laptop unable to connect to wireless router

Sconehead 13:02 26 Mar 2009

My network setup is as follows :-

Router - Buffalo

XP PC Desktop connected directly to wireless router.

Vista installed on laptop wireless connection to router.

Until this week I was able to use laptop to connect to the network using its wireless connection. Now i am unable to connect and the router is not being displayed in the list of available routers. The laptop can see other routers in the area, just not mine. I have reinstalling the connection using Vistas wireless wizard and manual method, both methods stating that connection was successful, but router is still not available.

any ideas on what I can try next???

mgmcc 22:05 26 Mar 2009

Go into the router's wireless settings and ensure it is still broadcasting its SSID (Network Name). You can open the router's configuration pages by typing its IP address (192.168.11.1 for a Buffalo router) into the web browser of your XP PC which is connected to it by ethernet cable.

Sconehead 20:37 29 Mar 2009

MGMCC,

Thanks for your post, the router is broadcasting its SSID. I have tested this by using a WII which is using the wireless network to connect to the Internet, the test was successful. I have also managed to get the Vista laptop to list my wireless network in the available networks and it is listed with a strong signal. But is still not able to connect.

mgmcc 20:58 29 Mar 2009

Try deleting the existing wireless network (from the "Networking & Sharing Center" click the link at the left to Manage Wireless Networks) and then "Connect" again so that a new profile is saved.

Sconehead 21:16 30 Mar 2009

mgcc

Thanks again for your post. When I went into "Manage wireless networks that use (Wireless Network Connection" there was no actual network listed, so I added a network manuall with the same SSID as the router.

I then tried to connect to this network from "Network and Sharing".

But only got the message "Windowws cannot connect to XXXXXXX, Diagnose the problem etc

mgmcc 22:55 30 Mar 2009

Don't try to set it up manually. Right click the Network icon in the System Tray beside the clock and select "Connect to a network". In the widow that opens, highlight the network which matches your router's SSID and then click the Connect button. When prompted, enter any WEP/WPA encryption key that is configured in the router.

Sconehead 18:20 31 Mar 2009

MGMCC

I removed the network which I added using the manual method. I also tried the automated method of adding a network using a USB, the required files where created using my Windows XP machine which is hard wired to the router. I wanted to make sure that I had the right settings.

I then tried to connect to this network but it still failed.

This I removed so that I could try your suggestion. As per your instructions I selected the router which matched my SSID, signal strength excellent as I stuck the laptop right next to it.
I then clicked the connect button. I received the error message "Windows cannot connect to xxxx" xxxx is being my routers SSID.

mgmcc 19:43 31 Mar 2009

Have you installed any Windows updates recently? If so, one of these could have messed up your wireless networking.

Sconehead 18:11 01 Apr 2009

mgmcc

I have tried a system restore to a point when I knew the wireless setup was working. I'll take it back further.

I bought the laptop from Dell in October and it least came with the windows disc so i could do a complete restore if the worst comes to the worst.

T0SH 19:31 01 Apr 2009

Try the winsock fix from here

(direct download)

click here

Cheers HC

T0SH 19:34 01 Apr 2009

Ops sorry misread your post the Winsock fix is for XP only

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?