vista and internet

pckid85 11:22 12 Aug 2007

does anyone have problems getting online using vista.

Andy1991 11:23 12 Aug 2007

why wats the problem

tullie 11:39 12 Aug 2007

No i havent.
Err..he cant get on line Andy

Ginge1980 11:51 12 Aug 2007

What connection are you trying to use.. is it wireless or cable etc?
Is there any idications that could help diagnose this problem, any error messages ect?

clob 14:58 12 Aug 2007

My wife just bought a Compaq 5139 with Vista Home Premium and there has also been a problem with connecting to the internet. The machine goes through a Netgear router and we initially tried a wireless connection, which had been no problem with the old computer at this location (signal either excellent or very good). However, the Vista machine initially would not log on to the network, then after 15 minutes did, but gave an error message that only 'local access' was available. After about 30 mins, lo and behold, the internet was available. Thinking wifi was the problem, I then tried an ethernet connection and the same basic problem occurred. However, this time it refused to connect to the internet at all, said the network was 'unidentified', only allowed 'local access' and refused to budge. We tried the wifi again, and now it will log on to the internet within about ten minutes (never less), and will keep the connection rock-solid for as long as the computer is on. I have read somewhere there is a bug in the WinSock which can cause this. No-one seems to know the fix for it anywhere I've googled it.

Technotiger 15:03 12 Aug 2007

Is this the fix you were looking for?

click here

clob 21:40 02 Sep 2007

Thanks for the offer Technotiger, but we couldn't maintain a connection long enough to download it. I was advised elsewhere to input the following at a command prompt:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled autotuninglevel=disabled

then activate "diagnose and repair". It did the trick after a pause of a few minutes and seems to have solved the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone