Vista Home Prem - Backup & Restore

themissingelf 10:31 19 Apr 2009

I'm using Windows Home Premium Backup & Restore Center and it's being a complete pain!

My wife's laptop had the hard disk replaced following a fault developing. Got it back and connected to the network. Fired up MS Backup & Restore to restore the backed up files (backed up using MS Backup & Restore), asked it to restore the files and it says it cannot find a backup set.

Tried advanced and pointed it at the backup on the NAS device where it's stored and it still says it cannot find the backed up files!

I'm beginning to think this Windows method is not designed for situations such as mine and is more tailored to recovering the odd file here and there rather than all the files on to a new hard disk.

Any thoughts and suggestions gratefully received!

(I hate that you only stumble across these things when you need them most).

rawprawn 13:54 19 Apr 2009

I'm beginning to think this Windows method is not designed for situations such as mine and is more tailored to recovering the odd file here and there rather than all the files on to a new hard disk.
I don't think it is possible to replace files on a new HDD this way, you needed to clone it using something like Acronis.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017