Vista Home Basic Installation Errors

Ricktos 13:34 22 Jan 2008

Hi all,

I have recently started having problems with Vista so I decided to go for a wipe and clean install of Vista. I have an original copy of Vista which I have used when I originally set my computer up.

I have two hard drives, an IDE 80Gb HDD and a SCSI 260Gb HDD. I was only using the SCSI drive when I started having problems and the IDE drive was blank. I copied saved games files, music, etc onto my IDE drive and started an installation from the Vista DVD. Here I was able to format the SCSI drive and start the installation to it.

The Vista setup asks for my product key and language settings then goes onto a screen where the files are extracted. During the extraction, and at seperate points at most retries, I receive an error saying, 'Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code: 0x80070570'.

On another try I have received the error message, 'Windows Installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible and restart the installation. Error Code: 0xC0000005.'

On a further try I received the error message, 'Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error Code: 0x80070057.'

I have tried reformatting the drive in the setup menu, removing it and creating a new partition with it with the same results. I've also changed the DVD drive that I'm booting from and attempted an installation onto the IDE drive but again, with the same results.

I've also managed to get hold of two copies of XP to at least try and get the thing running so I can check the net (Have to do this while at work at the moment) but with both disks the installation cannot find/install certain files and they have to be skipped to continue with the installation. Unfortunately, this leads to the installation being a failure and I can't boot afterwards. The condition of all discs involved are perfect and both DVD drives were working perfectly before the wipe.

I am running a Pentium dual core 1.8Ghz, 2Gb DDR1 RAM, a Radeon 2600XT 512MB PCI-Express Graphics Card and the drives previously mentioned. BIOS starts fine and all RAM is detected. By the way, I have also removed the RAM sticks and put them back in just in case it was a problem with information not wiped from the RAM but no change.

As you can probably tell, I feel I have tried everything and can't find any simil;ar problems or answers on the Microsoft pages.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Rickee

anskyber 13:42 22 Jan 2008

Did you do a clean install on a new machine when you first used Vista or was it an upgrade from an original XP system?

Ricktos 14:39 22 Jan 2008

It was a clean install on a brand new hard drive (the SCSI one).

Ricktos 09:14 23 Jan 2008

Tried to do a format via the Command Prompt last night then install Vista after but still with no luck...

Ricktos 09:15 24 Jan 2008

Tried wiping the original IDE drive now and formating via command prompt and Vista setup (seperately), neither made any difference to the vista installation. The XP one completed but still won't start up as I get stop crashes to blue screen or the system hangs on a black dos screen with a flashing cursor. Anyone, any suggestions???

Ricktos 09:20 25 Jan 2008

Still dead as a doornail...

setecio 09:32 25 Jan 2008

I'd advise you to try a live Linux CD like KNoppix, Ubuntu etc .... see at click here

Ricktos 10:15 25 Jan 2008

Might be something I might look at in the future but for the time being all I know is I paid £90 for an OEM version of Windows Vista and now it ain't working. Unfortunately, I can't get any support from Microsoft as I am the support as it's OEM. I don't wanna waste my money and go onto anything else, especially as it doesn't just seem to be the disk as Xp isn't working either.

setecio 11:45 25 Jan 2008

.... if a Linux live CD also malfunctions then you can almost certainly point to a hardware fault.

Ricktos 12:24 26 Jan 2008

May be able to try this at the end of the month. Any other suggestions in the meantime???

Ricktos 09:41 28 Jan 2008

A development!

On another try of desperation, the Vista install has ran it's course and completed. Imagine my excitment as it finished setup and restarted.

It made it past the POST and now hangs with a black screen and a flashing white cursor in the top left hand corner of the screen.

No errors, no loading, no restarting, nothing. It stays like this until I restart it or turn it off. Any ideas now?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?