vista harddrive with almost no space

aimeec 12:11 17 Jul 2009

i posted another problem before which seems to now be sorted so thanks for that

when i go onto my sisters laptop (e-system notebook) it says that she has a 40gb harddrive but on the C drive it says 30.3 (figured the rest was to actually have vista there?!) but with only AVG on there it says that she has 8.36gb of free space and i have no clue what is taking up the rest - surely not vista.

please help as its urgent - she needs it for university and i only have it for 2 days before she goes back.

thanks guys

mooly 12:40 17 Jul 2009

When you click "computer" in the start menu what does it show ? How many partitions ? How much used, how much free.
From the screen above showing the C drive, right click it (the C drive) and select "properties" and "Disc cleanup" and then files from all users.
Give it a minute or two to calculate what can be removed and then BEFORE accepting cleanup select the "more options" tab at the top and select "delete shadow copies... etc"
Wait a minute or two as it again calculates what can be removed (it's not obvious when it's finished...) so just wait, then accept. That deletes all but the most recent restore point which on Vista can occupy a lot of space.

mooly 12:44 17 Jul 2009

If it's any guide my Vista installation and several programs (2.6gb's worth) and 2gb's worth of personal stuff occupy 23gb total on the C drive.

aimeec 13:38 17 Jul 2009

there is a system partition that is 1.54gb with 1.5gb free

there is also the c deive 30.3gb with 8.21gb free

aimeec 13:45 17 Jul 2009

thanks for that - done that now and up to 9.68gb free of the 30.3gb on the C drive...is there anyway to free up more as i still need to install office package and the printer and want to amke sure there is space still after those

hiwatt 13:52 17 Jul 2009

System restore uses a lot of space on windows vista.Turn it off by right clicking my computer/properties/system protection and unticking the box beside the C:drive.This should free up quite a bit of space.Remember to renable it though or you will have no restore points.

DippyGirl 14:01 17 Jul 2009

Vista is a hog - my C drive (just Vista+progs) is currently 23Gb but that includes quite alot of applications - so if you have nothing loaded 22gb looks a bit high

If you want a map of what is using what have a look at the excellent Karen's Directory Printer click here
can save results to disk or print. If you are doing the whole C drive - folder only option may be best

aimeec 14:49 17 Jul 2009

i've done that directory printer but it makes no sense to me!

aimeec 15:01 17 Jul 2009

i now have 10.8gb free out of 30.3 so i will see ho wmuch space i have after i put word etc back on! fingers crossed

DippyGirl 15:15 17 Jul 2009

Did you read the comments at the top of the report?
You get the size of each FOLDER and they all rollup into TOTAL
You should be able to see what is using the space

woodchip 15:56 17 Jul 2009

I think you will find that Restore is using most of that Space. Some Restore points need removing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?