is vista good fo gaming?

wizkid2029 19:38 27 Jun 2007

hi,
i was speaking to a guy in a computer store today.
he told me not to get vista if i am playing games,
because most games run at about 200fps, but aparently vista slows it down to only 20fps.
is this true, or just made up?

umbongo(uk) 19:54 27 Jun 2007

vistas still in its infancy stage yes games do run well . albight some fps loss
vista a hardware hog
check toms hardware site and others for game comparisons and benchmarks
heres one to get you going
click here==

200fps yes if your playing old titles far cry qauke etc
dont forget it also down to what graphics card your using low end will see no benefit as it didnt in xp
and vista likes its ram

tobyb121 19:55 27 Jun 2007

I very much doubt that any game can run at 200fps, as most monitors run at 60-90fps max. After using vista I think it is great, many of my games work better on vista than xp, due to its hardware optimization, but there are a few games that are incompatible, so it is best to look through your games collection and then google them to see if there are any issues running them under vista, you will also find that many games have easy fixes, such as running them under compatability mode. But games could definitly not run at 200fps, and vista wouldn't slow them like this.

tobyb121 19:56 27 Jun 2007

Sorry I got confused between refresh rate and fps. But vista is much better

umbongo(uk) 20:07 27 Jun 2007

as most monitors run at 60-90fps max

incorrect your monitor does not dictate your frame rate
you are talking about screen refresh rate on how many times the screen will refresh the images
60mhz 70 80 etc
again alink to toms hardware showing frame rate for games running on xp sytems and their setup
click here

note the games are running max quality but if they dropped the quality the games would easily top 200fps
remember older games will run higher fps

umbongo(uk) 20:10 27 Jun 2007

why is vista much better
please back up your statement with links and facts as i dont see them stated anywere on the internet in the debate win xp v vista
wow it has aero glass hmm i can think of another tht has a similar eye candy

tobyb121 20:16 28 Jun 2007

I say this as I have been using vista now since it first came out as a beta. I have been running it on a laptop and a desktop. I have never had a single hardware problem, and it has never failed or broken. Also it has dramatically sped up my computer, it just runs more smoothely, using xp now, on the same machines, is like swimming through treacle. Hence Vista is better.

woodchip 20:22 28 Jun 2007

Personally, What I have see of it. MS can keep it. I think it’s like a bad salad, all kinds of things thrown in but nothing tastes right. To me the Desktop is most Confusing.

[email protected] 20:25 28 Jun 2007

whats your specs though toby,maybe misleadig a few folk
mine doesnt satisfy minimum spec. though pretty rapid on xp
should i?

[email protected] 20:33 28 Jun 2007

i have been trying vista and xp on 3 high spec gaming machines since feb, the reason i still use xp on the main pc is because although vista is faster at certain things, vista plays games with problems due to the interface, if you find vista faster you're doing something wrong. dont take my word for it, google it!
click here

[email protected] 20:34 28 Jun 2007

i have been trying vista and xp on 3 high spec gaming machines since feb, the reason i still use xp on the main pc is because although vista is faster at certain things, vista plays games with problems due to the interface, if you find vista faster you're doing something wrong. dont take my word for it, google it!
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?