Vista freezes shortly after startup

hhh123kid 13:45 06 Sep 2007

Hey guys, yesterday I was messin around on my vista pc when it locked up forcing me to restart it manually. It then booted up normally all the way to the desktop where I can click around and highlight things for abour 2-3 seconds before it locks up. I can still move the mouse cursor around fine but cant click on anything.

However, I am able to start the pc in safe mode which is a bit of good news I suppose. In safe mode I did scans with avg free and microsoft defender but but found nothing.

Anyone got any ideas as to what I should do next? maybe someones heard of a a similar problem?

Help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

A-Nonymous 13:47 06 Sep 2007

It is a service that is causing the PC to halt. Reboot the PC, and as soon as you are logged on, hit CTRL ALT DEL and look at what is taking up most resources.

woodchip 13:48 06 Sep 2007

Try first downloading and upgrading Graphics Drivers

hhh123kid 17:38 06 Sep 2007

Thx for the help but all the drivers are up to date and There doesnt seem to be any process thats taking up the most resources.

hhh123kid 17:49 06 Sep 2007

Now it wont even start in safe mode, it starts booting up but gets stuck on..

Loaded: windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sis

skidzy 18:06 06 Sep 2007
  hhh123kid 18:15 06 Sep 2007

Thx for the reply but I dont really understand what the guy did. He says he pulled out a 2 gig stick of ram? I've only got 2 gigs. What should I do?

skidzy 18:40 06 Sep 2007

Ok something to try:

If a new machine it maybe possible to carry out a repair without the Vista disc.

Try tapping possibly F11 or F10 on startup,im hoping you have a hidden partition that will give you three options.

Something on the lines of:

1) Restore to factory settings (destructive) you will lose all your data.

2) Repair windows saving data

3) Repair without saving data

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?