Vista Firewall

chocolatejo987 20:05 10 Sep 2007

Just bought a new pc with vista. I used to not use windows firewall, and was wondering if the vista one is worth using (or should I download a free one from elsewhere?)

Pine Man 20:13 10 Sep 2007

As long as the Vista firewall is set up for both in and outbound it should do perfectly.

chocolatejo987 20:14 10 Sep 2007

Thanks

skidzy 20:59 10 Sep 2007

Using Vista's firewall outbound facility takes a lot of learning and basically extremely hard to configure .

Vista's firewall inbound blocking in set by default,however outbound traffic is not and needs setting up.Though some services will be allowed through as windows needs these services.

To use outbound protection effectively,you need to understand creating rules and filters,this is extremely hard to achieve successfully.

Basically,Vista's firewall is not much better than xp's firewall,giving you inbound protection only.

For example click here

click here

Ive been attempting to learn this process for a while now and to be honest,not very successful.

For what its worth i would suggest a third party firewall such as Zonealarm Vista version for those who are not in total control of there computer,especially if children are using the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?