Vista ethernet problems

MMilburn 17:04 12 Jan 2010

I recently moved back into university accomodation and plugged in my new laptop to the ethernet connection in my room. It connected to the internet and showed that I was connected to 4 networks however the internet was running very slow then stopped altogether. I read the handbook I was given when I moved in and it said to disable IPv6 as it will cause connectivity issues, so I did so and after trying to confirm this the window froze, I left it for 20 minutes then tried closing it but it would not. I then tried to restart my laptop however it was suck on shutting down for half an hour so I manually turned it off.

When I then turned the computer on and plugged my ethernet cable back in it didnt connect to anything and wont identify any networks at all. I can currently connect to the free internet but it is extremely slow. Looking in device manager it is still showing my ethernet controller and says its working fine. I am currently running vista service pack 2. Thanks for any help

Woolwell 17:53 12 Jan 2010

System restore back to before you disabled IPv6 may help. When you connect it should show at least one network to connect to (one of the 4 you mentioned?). I suspect that you had to insert a password.

MMilburn 19:06 12 Jan 2010

I cannot system restore to that point as I installed vista service pack 2 after the problem hoping that it may solve the problem but it didnt however the earliest restore point is then which is no good. I know for a fact the network doesnt have a password as I accessed it last term no problem however this was using XP on my old computer. Any other ideas?

mgmcc 09:15 13 Jan 2010

Try deleting the ethernet adapter in Device Manager and rebooting, so that Windows finds new hardware and reinstalls it.

If, after reinstalling, TCP/IPv6 is again enabled, *DISCONNECT* the Local Area Connection from the university network and then untick the TCP/IPv6 box and "OK" it.

If you still have a problem, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

If you are unable to paste the details directly from the computer, because it cannot get online, paste them instead into a blank "Notepad" file, transfer the file to a working PC and copy/paste the details from there. This might give an indication as to the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?