vista display drivers not working

jade25 10:49 22 Aug 2007

I keep getting when l log on that 'display drivers not working' then screen goes black and comes back saying windows have responded' This is a vista pc, when it goes black it looks like its switching of as l get a small screen saying 'no signal' like l do when l am switching off. I s there anything l can do or should be doing,
Jade

gudgulf 11:03 22 Aug 2007

click here

click here

Those links refer to nVidia,but ATI can give the same error.

It's probably a driver issue or a compatibility issue with Vista.

I see the same thing at seemingly random interval.

Have you installed the compatibility and performance patches from Microsoft click here

(note these are no longer beta releases)

jade25 14:53 22 Aug 2007

Think its nVidia as when you get the start up
box that one is always on and has a word which l can't remember buts its one that has not
through.
Have updated 16 last week and there was some
today, hope you can read this but the typing is going out of the box at end so am have to
click enter when it gets near, thats a new
one on me,
Jade

jade25 16:53 22 Aug 2007

just been to soloutions on vista and besides the driver for lexmark printer microsodft said there is a update to Nvida so followed the link and then there is a list of gel force for me to choose, nothing to help and haven't a clue which one and there is also a beta above, lt took me to the us site. Could you help telling me which to download or by what l read on your links is it worth it.
Just going to see if lexmark has any new drivers as need my all in one badly
Jade

gudgulf 22:33 23 Aug 2007

I usually look for drivers here click here

I'm currently trying the 163.44 beta drivers (32 bit) which are the US English version.They install and work ok.

To be honest though I prefer the 162.50 drivers which are meant for the Quaddro professional graphics cards....they have noticeably better image quality (in games at least) and are compatible will all nVidia cards.

I've not seen a black screen/video recovery error since using these drivers in conjunction with the compatibility/performance patches from Microsoft.

I don't think the Microsoft patches have been released through Windows update yet but are definitely worth installing.

jade25 12:10 24 Aug 2007

Sorry l did not answer but never got an email from pc advisor and just thought l would check if there was one so thank you very much, think that the driver you said will be ok as have never tried games at all but am the internet busy most of the day and other things don't get done,its now going black each day. On one of those furums there was quite a thread about this,
Thanks again and sorry about no answer
Jade

jade25 12:20 24 Aug 2007

Sorry forgot this, as there is no patch for vista yet should l wait till there is before downloading driver
Jade

gudgulf 12:40 24 Aug 2007

If you haven't already done so download and install both of the patches from click here

When I said the patches were not on Windows Update I simply meant they hadn't been rolled out as an automatic update,and not that there were no patches available.

Then try the new driver.

Could you also post your pc specification as some issues (like the ones I get) seem to be associated with certain chipsets when combined with nVidia drivers.

jade25 13:16 24 Aug 2007

Can you ask me what you want as am not that clued up on a lot of stuff, the time l spend tends to take forever as l teach online so i don'get time to learn a lot of stuff which l know l should,
Jade

gudgulf 16:53 24 Aug 2007

Pc make and model would help.

If you know what processor you have that will help too.

In Vista if you click on the Start button then right click Computer and select Properties you will get a pop up box that will tell you what processor you have,and how much memory under the System heading.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?