Vista desktop icons randomly change

AlanHo 11:06 16 Sep 2007

I have added a number of document or website link shortcut icons to my Vista computer desktop - some are in folders containing a group of shortcuts.

I have changed the folder and shortcut icons from the standard explorer icon to more meaningful ones stored on my hard drive as ico files.

However - for no apparent reason - certain icons randomly revert to the explorer icon. Right clicking on the desktop and selecting
"Refresh" has no effect. After a reboot - the icons may - or may not - correct themselves. It is worth noting that it is only the icons I have
allocated that randomly change and it is not always the same ones. Icons associated with programmes seem to be OK. (Word, Excel, Acronis, Nero etc)

If I right click on the faulty ones the heading of the web document tab still shows the correct icon but I have to go through the procedure of
changing the icon all over again to get the specific icon back on the desktop.

A couple of weeks ago (for other reasons) I had to do a refomat of my C: drive and do a clean installation of Vista Ultimate. I hoped that this would result in the icon problem being resolved - but it is back again.

I have searched the Microsoft knowledge base in vain.

birdface 12:07 16 Sep 2007

In Xp you can right click middle of screen.And it will say arrange Icons By.I don't know if there is anything on there that will help.Worth a look.Or click on new while in there.See if anything there that helps.

AlanHo 08:34 31 Oct 2007

I am still wrestling with this problem without success - having tried a number of remedies suggested from other sites.

I have noticed that the problem is only with desktop shortcuts that open a website. Icons to open programmes, folders or files on the computer remain stable.

I have had the thought that if I could create an individual batch file which in turn opens the URL for each website it might provide a fix. In this case each desktop icon would be for a batchfile and not directly a URL. The problem is I don't know if it is possible - and if so the text required for such a file.

I would appreciate the help of our experts (simple abc language please)

AlanHo 21:53 03 Nov 2007

At long last I seem to have found a fix - my icons have been stable for several days.

The problem was confined to desktop shortcuts that opened a website link. Shortcuts to files, folders and programmes on the hard drive were stable - even when special icons were assigned in place of the standard windows icon.

This led me to the theory that if I could create a batch file to open each web site - and then place a shortcut on the desktop to open the batch file (assigning my chosen icon to each batchfile shortcut) - it may prove to be a suitable work-around. However - I am no computer techie and did not know how to create a suitable batch file.

I posed the question on various forums and someone came to my rescue which enabled me to create batch files for each of my website links and assign icons to each dektop shortcut which opens a batch file.

Several days have elapsed and all my icons have remained stable. There is no perceptible delay in opening a website via a batch file - so am a happy bunny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?