Vista DEP driving me insane!

Chegs ®™ 15:41 17 Nov 2009

I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit installed on my laptop,and in the last few days I have had "Windows has closed ..." my Bluetooth adapter,my PC suite (mobile phone software)and now its refusing to run the Vodaphone Mobile Broadband software or the "Everything" search software.If I try to add them to DEP exceptions or launch them once windows has loaded,"Windows Explorer has stopped working" appears,I tried turning off DEP from a DOS prompt(which has increased the frequency of "xyz has stopped working" messages) and I'm getting really frustrated with the laptop(so frustrated that the dog has sensed my anger & ran for cover)Anyone care to offer suggestions on howto get MY program choices to run rather than Vistas?

peter99co 15:57 17 Nov 2009
  Chegs ®™ 16:15 17 Nov 2009

I'll be able to tell you in just a few minutes Peter,I think I missed off the "(current)" when I tried run the disable DEP earlier.

I dont think its worked though as I still get a popup says "Windows has blocked some startup programs" which means windows is likely still blocking the various apps listed above(excluding BBC iPlayer as I uninstalled it along with the Bluetooth software)

Chegs ®™ 16:26 17 Nov 2009

I'm also still getting "VtP.exe has stopped working" so I'm really stuck now as to why my Vista install has suddenly decided that any new software loaded is broken & needs closed. :(

woodchip 16:30 17 Nov 2009

check event viewer.

hope you are ready for the rain forecast your way, over 100mm

woodchip 16:40 17 Nov 2009

As tha broken thi golf club

Chegs ®™ 23:18 17 Nov 2009

I have had to give up,the newly installed software ruined my desktop install of Vista Ultimate which was the final straw and I uninstalled the Bluetooth software and the Vodaphone mobile phone as modem app.I will try again sometime in the distant future when my anger has subsided and the Vista crashes no longer a memory. :(

Ashrich 23:57 17 Nov 2009

I had a similar problem with Sony Ericsson bluetooth software that came with my new phone , so maybe the problem is with Vista's limited bluetooth stack which got a bit crippled when Toshiba and Microsoft couldn't agree over license fees .

Previous use of bluetooth in Windows used the Toshiba stack and worked well ...

My workaround was to use a humble USB cable to tether the phone .

Ashley

woodchip 09:51 18 Nov 2009

I got a bluetooth Dongle and gave up on it some time ago

Woolwell 11:23 18 Nov 2009

I can sympathise. Installed my Nokia on my Vista laptop and now every time I activate bluetooth on the laptop it goes through new hardware found and looks for a driver that it cannot find. The Bluetooth has all of the latest drivers, there are no more to be found and in spite of all of this the bluetooth works fine. So I get an irritating message which I have to cancel.

Chegs ®™ 16:18 20 Nov 2009

The excessive rainfall lastnight has wiped out the wired connection to the internet,but fortunately I found the information to setup a "dialup" connection thru the broadband modem in the phone (using the usb data cable to connect to my laptop) a few hours before the wired broadband ceased.The meant I didnt need the vodaphone software or bluetooth working.This post is via the phones modem.

woodchip: we received the forecast quantity of rain and some more! Apparently we received over 350mms and from radio reports,the west coast is cutoff from the east due to all the closed roads.A policeman was killed when a bridge washed out from under him so my problems are insignificant compared to those people a few miles north.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone