Vista Crash and Failure to Boot

Chrisnewbold 20:56 24 May 2007

I've had a few problems with vista recently, since installing itunes and syncing an ipod, although I'm not sure if that's relevant. I know there are some incompatibilities still, but maybe not this major. I started to get bluescreen errors and had to manually restart the pc. On one occasion the OS refused to fully boot, although the hard disks were recognised. I ended up using the vista cd to reinstall. I noticed on a few occasions checkdisk would run and on at least one seemed to find some problems. Today windows failed to boot again (after a bluescreen last night). I tried to restore the C partition using Acronis software and also the master boot record. No good. On restart I get 'insert system disk' The acronis recovery disk clearly shows the windows and other files on my C drive.. In desperation I used the windows memory check on the Vista CD in the repair menu and the pc then booted - fine! Except I daren't switch it off.

Is this a failing hard disk or a problem with ipod/itunes compatibility...? I thought the latter but the problems seem so serious and the solution seems to suggest disk errors.

Please help!

brundle 20:58 24 May 2007

Check your HD with manufacturer's diagnostic; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?