Vista - Control Panel won't start

RWBCAM 13:02 02 May 2007

I have Vista Home Premium. On occasions when I start up it fails to load the welcome centre. I hear a noise as though it's tried to display it on the screen and failed.

Then when I try to start Control panel, nothing happens. Also when I try to print, nothing happens.

Sometimes when I reboot, everything works fine but more often than not I'm experiencing these probem. Any thoughts please?

BurrWalnut 16:03 02 May 2007

1. Have a look in Event Viewer (Start, All Progs, Admin Tools, Event Viewer) for any clues.

2. You could run the System File Checker:
The command needs to be run from an elevated Command Prompt. Click Start, Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type sfc /scannow (note the space) and press enter. This may take some time and you may have to put the Vista DVD in the drive.

3. Final straw is to repair Vista click here

RWBCAM 21:47 05 May 2007

Dear BurrWalnut, Thank you v much for your suggestions. So far tonight it hasn't failed whereas yesterday it took me 4 restarts to get Control Panel to open. I will try your tips, next time it fails, as it is sure to do. Appreciated!!

Microsoft told me to disable all the start up programs and services that were not Microsoft but it didn't work. They are all re-enabled now.

They wanted me to put in the Vista DVD so that it would show installation Manager on startup when booting but the DVD wouldn't boot. (They thought a Startup repair might fix it). I think it wouldn't boot because I've been unable to load the ASUS utilities that came with the ASUS motherboard, so I can't get into the BIOS to make it boot from the Vista DVD. The ASUS motherboard CD is for XT and Vista can't read it. I guess I will have to search the ASUS website to try to find the Vista version of whatever was on the Asus CD.

zeldazoo 23:47 14 Sep 2007

Try get to the controll panel from windows explorer. It works for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?