Is Vista compatible with tiscali?

Nuneatonian 20:54 06 Mar 2008

Hi all
End of last year I bought my new computer that was installed with Vista. I decided to carry on with my dial-up with Tiscali, until I had got used to the system, which is completely different to my old Windows ME!! I am considering now to go broadband, but have heard there are still issues with Tiscali not being very good with Vista, like being slow and playing up with the system including problems with Windows Mail which is part of the Vista system. Are there still problems? When I do go broadband should I instead of using my external modem that I am using for my dial up at the moment, use the connection via my Ethernet socket at the back. I have heard its better through this. I haven't other computers in the house at the moment but may do in the future. Instructions for connection and equipment needed for the broadband would be useful. I have a complicated set up because I have SKY multi-room, and my main telephone socket is upstairs, and my computer is downstairs.

Thank you in advance
Nuneatonian

Ashrich 22:03 06 Mar 2008

Do you have a phone socket ( professionally installed ) downstairs at all ? You could still connect to it with a router if the installation is Ok , although the main socket is preferable , then you can have an ethernet modem/router downstairs which would be considerably easier . The external modem for dial up would not be needed and could be uninstalled , although you could keep it somewhere handy just in case . As with all broadband , ADSL splitters would need to be fitted on all phone sockets that have phones or sky boxes attached to them . The only problem Tiscali had with Vista was with the drivers for the USB broadband modems they had used , a modem/router wouldn't have such problems .

Ashley

MAJ 22:12 06 Mar 2008

Tiscali doesn't have many problems with Vista, their main problem is that they seem to have problems supplying a broadband connection that's reliable and up to speed. For your own peace of mind and future sanity, choose someone other than Tiscali. click here

bluto1 22:34 06 Mar 2008

Although others have stated problems with Virgin I haven't even had to phone for their help in the past year. My personal view re Broadband providers is that it mostly depends where you live, distance from the exchange, etc, but I have to agree with MAJ re Tiscali's customer service, or lack of it, it's the worst I've encountered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?