Vista Compatability

gill 17:43 19 May 2009

Hi All,
On visiting a large PC outlet today with the intention of buying a laptop, I was informed by the sales assistant that the probability of my existing software ie. Photoshop.MS Word etc.will not be compatable with Vista.Can anyone comfirm if this is correct. If so, is it possible to section the hard drive and run two operating systems ( ie. xp on one and Vista on the other part)on the same computer? Many thanks in advance. Gill

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:53 19 May 2009

Office 97 works OK on vista

Bob The Blob 17:54 19 May 2009

That's rubbish. Unless you intend on running very old software there's a slight chance it might not work on Vista.

gill 18:02 19 May 2009

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ and Bob The Blob. I suspected he was wrong but felt I had to check just to make sure.He did try to sell me some compatable software so I guess that was the reason for his comments.
Many thanks again for your help. Gill

mfletch 18:07 19 May 2009

You can check if old programs will work in Vista here

Windows Vista Compatibility Center

click here

bjh 18:22 19 May 2009

Office 97 is not OFFICIALLY compatible with Vista (wonders why not for nearly 2 milli$econd$...).

In general, it works just fine. I have 97 Pro and Vista at work (but don't use the Office intensively there).

I believe there have been some (minor) Access problems involving large records (I suspect Access doesn't support file sizes as large or in the form that Vista does. After all, Access was designed for a FAT32 file system.

Equally, I believe there may be similar rare problems with huge Outlook mail boxes.... but that's a known problem of 97 more than the Vista compatibility.

It certainly isn't a "Oh my goodness what have I installed and why is my computer crashing" situation. Maybe a case of the occasional glitch if you are a Power User...

gill 20:30 19 May 2009

Many thanks to you all for your input. I think I am convinced enough to go out and buy a Laptop in the knowledge that most things will be ok.

I would however like to know if it is possible to partition a large hard drive and have the facility to run both Vista and XP.Gill

ventanas 10:26 20 May 2009

As for Photoshop I have installed all versions from 6 upwards without any problem, despite what Adobe would have you believe.

gill 10:56 20 May 2009

Thank you ventanas, it's pleasing to know that photoshop will be ok.
Gill

splatter 12:04 20 May 2009

your biggest incompatibility will be games, so if you play a great deal you may want to check out some gamer forums to see if people have had problems.

keef66 13:49 20 May 2009

I just installed Office 97 on a Vista laptop, and the only thing I have noticed is the help doesn't work, so no great loss. An old version (6?)of Photoshop being installed tonight; fingers crossed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone