Vista - Changed Pictures folder and messed it up!

stugra 14:36 13 Apr 2009

I have Vista. When you click 'start' the menu that comes up has a direct link to the pictures folder (top rightish).

As I had all my photos in a folder on my desktop, I right clicked the pictures button, selected properties, selected the location tab, and told it the new location for the pictures was my folder on my desktop.

Unfortunately, the button now just opens up all the files on the desktop. If I open a windows explorer window, down the left hand pane, under my username, I have two folders labelled desktop. Other folders down here error with 'unavailable' messages. There is no pictures folder anymore as it is replaced with duplicated desktop folders.

Two system restores does not help?

I screwed it up - can anybody advise please??

Many thanks.

mfletch 14:48 13 Apr 2009

You have to name the folder after desktop

\Desktop\ name off folder

stugra 14:59 13 Apr 2009

mfletch, that is what I did. I pointed at Users\stu\desktop\photographs??

In a nutshell, the PC now thinks that the pictures folder is the desktop folder.

If I place anything in the pictures folder it comes up on the desktop.

If I delete all the files in the pictures folder, it wipes them off of the desktop??

brundle 15:08 13 Apr 2009

Surely simpler to leave the Pictures folder alone and put a shortcut to it on the desktop...bit late for that. Move all the pictures to a temporary folder, anywhere else but one of your user account folders. Change the locations of the Desktop and Pictures folders to their defaults. Put your pictures back in the Pictures folder. Make a desktop shortcut to the Pictures folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?