Vista cannot see XP except by opening Media Centre

Mal Vicars 22:55 15 Sep 2008

Old Laptop with XP Home.
Shiny new Desktop with Vista Home Premium.
Networking problem.
I am to the point where the XP machine can see and open / change etc the Vista files.
On Vista in network map I can see the XP Laptop icon.
Looks good.
Problem is when I then click on the XP machine icon it opens Media Centre, not an explorer window to see the files on the XP Laptop.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mal Vicars.

ambra4 01:08 16 Sep 2008

Teach XP and Vista to play nice on networks

click here

mgmcc 07:45 16 Sep 2008

What happens if you type the path to a shared XP folder directly into the address bar in Vista's "Network" (My Network Places) using the format:

\\computername\foldername

dawood 14:47 17 Sep 2008

Maybe you did not enable file sharing correctly in XP, you can take a look on this simple file sharing click here and share file with user/group permission click here in XP, see whether can help you..

mde 20:32 17 Sep 2008

I am trying to share files between a desktop running Windows XP SP3 and a laptop running Windows vista using a netgear router.

The desktop can read and write to the laptop, but the laptop can only see the folders on the desktop. When I click on a shared folder I get the following message:-
....................................................................................
\\main\1mike is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of

this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Not enough server storage is available to process this command
.....................................................................................................
File sharing is enabled on both machines, and I have down loaded the microsoft patch for XP machines sharing with vista, and it has installed.. Both firewalls trust the other machine, but the same happens even with them disabled.

I can also see the printer connected to the desktop, but not access it.
Any Ideas?

mgmcc 21:53 17 Sep 2008

<<<Not enough server storage is available to process this command>>>

That is a specific problem that may require editing the registry:

This error message can indicate an incorrect IRPStackSize on the remote computer (the one you are trying to access over the network). In the remote computer, open the event log and check for event ID 2011. If this is present, it may indicate this particular issue. To repair it, you need to set the IRPStackSize parameter in the registry back to its default value of 15.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters

Check for the presence of a value named IRPStackSize. If it doesn't exist, create it as type DWORD and, with base set to decimal, enter the value 15. Exit from the registry and reboot the computer.

Some AntiVirus programs are guilty of altering this setting and causing the problem. Also have a look at this Microsoft Knowledge Base article which applies to XP too:

Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011 (Q177078) click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?