Vista Basic to Win98SE networking

Percy Veer 16:48 10 Apr 2010

I have 3 PCs, a Win Vista Basic laptop, an older Win 98SE desktop and an even older Win98 laptop. Before the tale of woe which I'm about to tell you, I had been successfully interworking between the two Win98 machines via an ethernet crossover cable without any problem. As I've built up more files on the Vista I thought it would be good if I could just move the cable from the Win98 laptop into the LAN port of the Vista and interwork between the Vista Laptop and the Win98SE desktop. It didn't work but following some advice from another expert source, I made some adjustments to settings in Vista and got to the point where both computers could see each other, that is the Vista could access the Win98SE OK, but in the other direction, although an icon appeared for the Vista in the Network Neighbourhood window, when I clicked on it I was prompted for a password. I hadn't set a password so I just clicked on OK and it then said Password Incorrect.

At this stage I was advised that I needed to upgrade the Win98SE with DSClient9x (NTLM2). I downloaded the dsclient9x.msi file from MS using the Vista internet connection and then moved the file across to the Win98SE c drive via the one directional network link which proved that was working. I loaded it and ran dsclient.exe and added a registry entry for LMCompatibility, Value 3. (I've since discovered this instruction was part of MS Articles 288358 and 239869). But it didn't work. Neither the Vista or the Win98SE could see the other, that is no icons at all.

As an experiment I tried to establish the ethernet connection between the Win98SE and my older Win98 laptop but now that also doesn't work. I'm sure that worked OK with the NetBEUI protocol but I'm not certain if I also had the TCP/IP protocol bound to the network adapters of each Win98 computer. The reason I say that is I assume that the Vista uses TCP/IP and therefore for it to have worked, at least in one direction, then the network adapter of the Win98SE would need to be bound to that protocol. I've reset these Network settings on both Win98 machines with (1) NetBEUI only, (2)TCP/IP only and (3) both protocols bound to the network adapters but I can't get it to work

As a further experiment I connected my old Win98 laptop via ethernet to the Vista pc and each machine can see the other provided that these two conditions are met (1) the Win98 network adapter card is bound to both the TCP/IP and NetBEUI protocols, (2) the Password Protected Sharing in the Vista Network and Sharing Center is set to OFF. It doesn't seem to make any difference whether the Unidentified Network in the Vista Network and Sharing Center is set to Private or Public (it keeps reverting to Public after power down or ethernet cable disconnection anyway). Having got that far I then tried to set a folder on the Vista pc to Sharing. But this was not successful because when I then tried to access the Vista pc from the Win98 pc, the first folder in the path (Users) to the shared folder appeared on the Network Neighbourhood window but then when I tried to access that folder I got a permanent hourglass and the computer seemed to hang. I escaped this by Ctrl, Alt, Del and selecting end task which then brought up an exception error which when I pressed continue I then had to restore the active desktop. Having had this partial success with the old Win98 I then tried the Win98SE making sure on the Vista I turned the Password Protected Sharing OFF and on the Win98SE binding the network adapter to both NetBEUI and TCP/IP. But neither computer can see the other. I tried it with the Unidentified Network set to Private and Public but still no joy.
It appears that the Win98SE has lost all networking capability and I will be very garteful if anyone can advise me how to resolve this interworking issue. If Vista to Win98SE is a no no, then any advice to restore the Win98SE capability will be much appreciated. Thank you

mgmcc 18:59 10 Apr 2010

I think you'll find it almost impossible to access Vista shares from a PC running 98SE, although the other way round should work.

I tried for quite a while to access Vista from 98SE and eventually had to concede defeat. Even Mac OSX to Vista worked OK, but not 98SE!

Percy Veer 16:43 13 Apr 2010

Thanks mgmcc for your input. Based on what you and others have said I've decided to abandon my attempts to get Vista/Win98SE interworking.

My remaining problem is restoring networking functionality to my Win98SE so I can interwork it OK as before, to my old Win98 laptop

Thanks again

Percy

mgmcc 17:36 13 Apr 2010

Start off by ensuring that "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" are both enabled and that NetBEUI is bound to both adapters. Disable TCP/IP initially and see if the two Windows 98 machines will communicate.

Check that the folders that you want to have available over the network are still "Shared".

Percy Veer 18:17 14 Apr 2010

Thanks mgmcc for your reply and suggestions. I think I may have more than one problem here.

First the Win98SE desktop.

I have reset (again) the Network settings in Control Panel and have bound the Realtek Network Adapter to the NetBEUI protocol only. I have removed all other bindings including those to the Dial-Up Adapter. The NetBEUI --->realtek properties shows bindings to Client for Microsoft Networks and File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks. At the end of those resettings when I clicked OK the following message box appeared

[Version Conflict
A file being copied is older than the file currently on your computer. It is recommended that you keep your existing file.
File name secur32.dll
Description Microsoft Win32 Security Services (Export
Your version 4.10.2226

Do you want to keep the file? yes no]

I clicked yes because I had read in the Microsoft article 239869 How to enable NTLM2 Authentication that certain files will remain after Active Directory Client Extension removal because they give enhanced security. See paste below

"When you install Active Directory Client Extensions on a computer that is running Windows 98, the system files that provide NTLM 2 support are also automatically installed. These files are Secur32.dll, Msnp32.dll, Vredir.vxd, and Vnetsup.vxd. If you remove Active Directory Client Extension, the NTLM 2 system files are not removed because the files provide both enhanced security functionality and security-related fixes".

I was then prompted to restart the pc

Second the Win98 laptop

I have reset (again) the Network settings in Control Panel and have bound the Realtek Network Adapter to the NetBEUI protocol only. I have removed all other bindings including those to the Dial-Up Adapter. The NetBEUI --->realtek properties shows bindings to Client for Microsoft Networks and File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks. At the end of those resettings when I clicked OK the following message box appeared

[Copying Files
The file "netbeui.vxd" on Windows 98 CD ROM can not be found
Insert Windows 98 CD ROM in the selected drive and click OK
Copy files from
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\Q312339]

I don't have a Win98 CD ROM, only a Toshiba product recovery disc which would take me right back to day1 factory status if I used it. Also I don't know why the message window included a path to Q312339. I assume this might be an upgrade I loaded some (long) time in the past when this computer had dial-up internet access?

So to get past this I had to click Skip File. After system restart the icon for this computer did not appear in its Network Neighbourhood nor an icon for the Win98SE

So I suspect the NetBEUI is not working on this pc, no doubt due to this missing file. So I changed the network settings again so that only the TCP/IP protocol is bound to the NIC. After restart this computer's icon appeared again in its Network Neighbourhood window. I had one more try at changing the Win98SE to be TCP/IP only, but they still don't see each other.

So its getting more complicated and I will be grateful if you have any more suggestions. Thanks

Percy Veer 19:37 14 Apr 2010

Success! Hooray

I copied the missing netbeui.vxd file via floppy from the Win98SE to the Win98 and then reset the network settings for NetBEUI on the Win98

Then I reset NetBEUI again on the Win98SE and when the message said do you want to keep the existing secur32.dll file I said NO and after reboot it all worked OK

Thanks for your help, I'm now back to where I was

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?