Vista Basic or Premium??

Madrat 22:29 03 Dec 2008

What is the difference between Vista Basic and Premium

chub_tor 22:32 03 Dec 2008
  chub_tor 22:33 03 Dec 2008

Sorry should have bee this comparison site click here

Madrat 22:36 03 Dec 2008

Thanks,

So in peoples opinion, what is the differance in CPU/memory/graphic requiaments needed to run basic or premium, Curently run XP on athlon 3000 with 2 Gb ddr333 and 128mb AGP card.

chub_tor 09:54 04 Dec 2008

That's a good question, certainly Vista Basic is much less demanding on system requirements as it does not have the Aero facility which in my opinion is one of the features that I really like about Premium. So Vista Basic will probably run with 1Gb of RAM reasonably well but Premium needs a minimum of 2GB if you don't want it to struggle.

I have Vista Premium on a laptop with shared graphics and it came with 1Gb of RAM, within a few weeks I changed that to 4Gb and there was a noticeable difference. I also installed Premium on a desktop dual booting with XP, this was built with 4Gb from scratch so I can't comment on how it might have performed earlier.

I rarely use the XP boot, maybe once a month to perform updates and one of my programmes that won't run on Vista (and I am too mean to buy a newer version as I use it so little). For me I find Vista fast (may be a function of the RAM size and both PC's are dual core (Intel in the laptop and AMD in the desktop, very stable - perhaps one blue screen in a year when I cocked up a driver, and I like the Aero interface. All except one of my old XP programmes runs on Vista (on a couple of games I use compatibility mode, but my games are simple ones such as Tiger Woods 2004).

From your spec I see no reason not to put Vista Premium on it. It will run fine but will run better if you increase the RAM to 3 0r 4Gb. I went from 1Gb to 4Gb simply because my 1 Gb was made from 2x512Mb and it was cheaper to buy 2 x 2Gb than a 2 + 1Gb.

Madrat 13:42 04 Dec 2008

Thanks

My PC is on its last legs I think so it looks like I might have to go down the Vista route, unles I can solve its problems and wait for windows 7

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?