Is Vista that Bad?

prince midas 12:10 20 Oct 2009

I have Vista running on my Laptop and XP on my Desktop.

When I got my Laptop with Vista I changed the promps for Admin using UAC and add no further problems.I also went back to the XP Classic look.
I also altered my mates Vista Laptop and he has had no problems.
Yet when I talk to other Vista users they all moan about it and a great majority are swapping to Windows 7.My point is if they had done what I did would they have been happy as I am with Vista.
Your comments appreciated.

Bob The Blob 12:17 20 Oct 2009

I have had zero problems with Vista in the 2 years I've been using it. I can't see where all the moaning is coming from either.

johndrew 12:18 20 Oct 2009

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

If you are happy the that is all that matters as the opinions of others are based on their wants/needs and the experience they have with the OS they are using and the manner of use.

OTT_Buzzard 12:18 20 Oct 2009

Vista is a fantastic operating system, *if* your hardware is suitable for it.

You have done the same as many to get round having lower power hardware.

As, especially laptops, become faster there will less need to do these workarounds. With W7 on the horizon (actually it's kinda staring us in the face at this point!) and slightly less resource intensive, only the very few still inexperienced Vista users will make comment on how poor an operating system it was.

skeletal 14:36 20 Oct 2009

“I have had zero problems with Vista in the 2 years I've been using it. I can't see where all the moaning is coming from either.”

I have had over two years of not using Vista because it refused to run properly on my computer (Vista score thingy 5.5 to 5.9). Having something not working is a pretty good reason to moan!

Tempted by 7, but I don’t know if I can risk even a tiny amount of the grief I had trying to get Vista to work. I’ve very briefly tried it (beta version something or other) in a virtual machine, but it was pretty rough and unresponsive. I expect this was due to being in the virtual machine, but am not sure.

It always amuses me to read that people have managed to coble together a working computer by turning off half of Vista’s features (that didn’t work for me). If you have to do that, what is the point of having it in the first place?

Skeletal

bremner 15:10 20 Oct 2009

Vista has not been a great success. It was a bloated rushed out system with many niggles and which many existing systems could not support.

Some people liked Vista and never had a problem but it is generally unloved and will not be missed.

Windows 7 is really only a (much needed) major upgrade to Vista and a new name. Have a read of the PCA review click here

Having beta tested Vista (Longhorn) which changed from a good fast beta to a bloated slow launch version I hope the same is not the case with W7. RC1 suggests that it will not be so.

Ex plorer 15:20 20 Oct 2009

No problems here on VIsta I wont buy Win7 unless its on my next new Laptop in two years time.

^wave^ 15:31 20 Oct 2009

its the old story i had me and it did everything for 5 years never a problem and vista looks better than me did

Kevscar1 16:28 20 Oct 2009

Never had a problem with Vista apart from being unable to run two of my old games.

I expect there will be a lot of posts moaning about how 7 is not as good as their old OS in the next few months.

woodchip 16:47 20 Oct 2009

You have hit the Nail on the Head so to speak, most are put of By the Desktop. I Use XP as well as 98se in Classic Mode. But Vista is Slow also as Driver Problems for Hardware

Input Overload 16:57 20 Oct 2009

I have ha no problems with Vista to speak of. I've run it since Beta & have been pleased. It's seemed fashionable to knock Vista I think in the last couple of years, when half the people calling it have never used it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?