Vista and AVG and Firewall

SURVEY 09:22 06 Apr 2007

A friend has bought a computer with Vista Premium. Is AVG now fully compatible - I noted from another thread that certain parts of AVG did not show and that it was thought that an update would solve this. Is the latest version of AVG Free now fully operational?

Does Vista need another firewall or is its own now adequate? If another is recommended - is Zonealarm free fully compatible?

Fingees 10:04 06 Apr 2007

Zone alarm is not at present compatable, unless it has changed in the past week.

There are a couple of firewalls that are, but I find the new built in Microsoft firewall, quite adequate, as it now works on incoming and outgoing.
I also use AVG free anti virus

SURVEY 10:14 06 Apr 2007

Fingees - I am inclined therefore to leave the Windows Vista firewall on. And you say that AVG is fully compatible now? There was some talk a while ago that something was not showing on the system tray?

[email protected] 10:50 06 Apr 2007

the windows firewall only blocks incoming (1 way) by default you can change this to in and out going by options on the controlpanel security, as far as i know both avg and avast run fine

SURVEY 13:03 06 Apr 2007

adman 2 - presumably then this firewall blocking both ways is a new feature introduced with Vista?

insyder 13:39 06 Apr 2007

If you're on Broadband, why not get yourself a Router - they're fairly cheap nowadays. This will take care of your firewall and much better than a software one. AVG is fully operational now and works as smoothly as it ever did.

[email protected] 15:54 06 Apr 2007

the only one way firewall i know is the xp one, so i guess its new to microsoft, all the others, zone alarm kerio etc, i believe are twoway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?