Vista AntiVirus 2008 - Can't Logon to PC!

DMartin747 17:30 31 Aug 2008

Hoping someone can help. Thanks to PCAdvisor, I now know that I have been infected with Vista AntiVirus 2008. I knew something was wrong the other night at 3:00 AM, so I turned off my Router and tried to reboot my PC. My problem now is that I can't logon to my PC at all. It gets as far as letting me pick a user and enter my password, then I get a bogus error message and the system reboots. Safe Mode does not work either. I am thinking that I need to create a bootable CD so I can get in there and clean up the hard drive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 31 Aug 2008

Try booting into safe mode

What antispyware do you have?

Superantispyware will get rid of it.

Quiller. 17:55 31 Aug 2008

"I am thinking that I need to create a bootable CD "

Do you not have a windows disk or recovery disk that came with your machine?

Quiller. 17:57 31 Aug 2008

the ultimate boot disk and run scans from there. click here

Also consider installing linux to recover your data and then a reinstall of windows.

DMartin747 18:08 31 Aug 2008

Safe Mode does not work. I have Norton Internet Security, but can't get to it because I can't logon...

DMartin747 18:11 31 Aug 2008

I have searched all over the house and can't find the disks that came with the PC. Driving me nuts. My wife probably filed them away somewhere.

I will try the ultimate boot disk you suggested and let you know how it goes...

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. This is ruining my 3 day weekend!

DMartin747 18:22 31 Aug 2008

I am downloading UBCD4Win version 3.20 now, but it s pretty slow. Luckily I have my laptop from work so I will burn a CD and then use it for my personal desktop with the problem...

To be continued...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone