Vista, additional 500gb HDD and Acronis

Jarhead 08:09 08 Feb 2008

Hi,

I have a Asus M2n SLI deluxe board with SATA II together with 1x 80gig maxtor which was the only drive. I wanted to to install a 500gb Samsung drive to replace this smaller unit since it was running out of space and also a bit noisy when seeking. Rather then do a re-install I used Acronis TI 11 to clone the 80gb drive to the 500gb drive. This worked and I could see the data on the 500gb when booting into the 80gb vista drive.These are the problems though: -

When first installing the Samsung drive I have had to place a limititation of 1.5gb jumper postion to have the BIOS detect. Is this normal for the drive and mobo combination?

With the original 80gb drive now cloned I want to remove this drive and have the 500gb drive boot instead. (eventually to reformat the smaller drive and use seperately). When I disconnect the 80gb drive the 500gb drive does not boot into windows but offers a BSOD and a memory dump.

How can I get the PC to boot from the 500gb and is there any changes that I need to make to the BIOS (e.g. update) in order to make the 3gbs SATA II transfer speed I would like?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?