vista 64 bit system and more memory

frankie 23:37 08 Dec 2008

hi can anyone help,got pc with 2gb ram,lads play games so thought i would treat them to more memory, specs are ASUS P5VD2-VM SE Motherboard.nvidia 8600gt 512mb pci 16x graphics card,went to crucial they said,mb could go to max 4gb ram,so i got it,however on installing chips it only shows 2.5,i have two 2gb modules,have swopped them and inserted one at a time so both do work,how can i get this 64bit system to recognise them?.nothing seems obvious in bios memory speed set to auto,so the full 4gb not recognised in bios,vista 64bit should support 4gb or more from what i read,thanks for having a look,

frankie 23:38 08 Dec 2008

pc runs fine with the 4gb ram,but just not showing the full 4gb

MCE2K5 03:21 09 Dec 2008

click here Same problem, No answer as yet.

Kevscar1 07:03 09 Dec 2008

You might find the answer here.

click here

DieSse 13:29 09 Dec 2008

You say a 64bit Vista system.

Can you confirm you have BOTH a 64-bit processor AND a 64-bit version of Vista

OR is it a 64-bit processor with a 32-bit version of Vista.

32-bit Vista versions will not use the full 4GB of system RAM due to addressing limitations.

frankie 21:34 09 Dec 2008

hi thanks all for looking,DieSse,the processor is intel pentium dual cpu [email protected],now you got me thinking is it a 64bit processor,or not?the operating system is def the 64 bit one,pc running fine no issues,just will not show in bios,which is set to auto,or on system info,swopped both ram modules both def work,cheers

DieSse 22:09 09 Dec 2008

Yes - you do have a 64-bit processor, and thanks for confirming you do have 64-bit Vista.

Looking on the web there seem to be other people with your motherboard who have the same or a similar problem.

I'm sure we'll all keep looking for you.

toon_mad 22:23 09 Dec 2008

have you tried updating your motherboards bios to the latest?

DieSse 22:32 09 Dec 2008

Your BIOS revision can be seen here

click here

There are some revisions specifically to support newer processors (such as yours). Version 507 is the latest, Version 506 the last to give support to the newest processors.

Lat us know what you have please.

DieSse 22:39 09 Dec 2008

Read the third post down in this forum

click here

It says this motherboard itself has the 4GB address limitation issue.

If true it means you can't solve the issue on this motherboard, unless it's fixed be a BIOS upgrade.

frankie 22:39 09 Dec 2008

never done a bios update,heard horror stories,....have not got a floppy anyway,do you not have to boot from floppy for bios update?or would appreciate a simple step by step mode,thanks for trying,further to last that screen flys past can it be frozen to read?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache