Vista

boo-boo owls 14:12 19 Mar 2007

I have just purchased a computer with Vista but there is no Word Processing. Can I copy my word processing from my old computer which has XP home edition?

Evelyn.

Jak_1 14:15 19 Mar 2007

I see no reason why not if you have the instalation cd. Doing a straight copy from old to new will probably not work as it will require registry entries.

Kate B 14:46 19 Mar 2007

Um, the answer is actually "it depends". First, what word processing package did you have on your old PC? Was it Word and was it part of a full Office package, or did it come as part of the OEM bundle? If the latter, you can't install it on a new PC: the licence is for the old PC only. If however you've got a full copy of any version of the Office suite, you can probably convince Microsoft that you've taken it off the old machine and want to transfer the licence to your new one.

Vista does have a rudimentary word processing function in Notepad, but it's nowhere near as full-featured as Word. If you can't transfer your old version to the new machine and you don't want to shell out for a new copy of Office, try Open Office click here which is free and produces files compatible with Office.

skidzy 16:05 19 Mar 2007

My Vista machine did not have MS works installed but did come with the cd,check your packaging and any discs you may have got.

First pc/laptop ive bought without it being preinstalled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?