Visat Exceeds 20gb. Why?

Legslip 22:24 26 Jul 2010

I have a laptop with a 75gb HD. Vista is taking up 21gb of disk space. This seems large to me. Is it correct or is there a problem?

northumbria61 22:42 26 Jul 2010

click here

from this list - click here=

Hope this helps.

Legslip 22:49 26 Jul 2010

Thanks Northumbria. Am currently running a prog called 'Folder Size'. I'll report back on what it finds.

MAT ALAN 23:00 26 Jul 2010

click here
run the prog in the link it'll find the bits ya never knew ya had...

Legslip 23:07 26 Jul 2010

Folder WINsxs is 13gb!! Deleting old sys restore points.

Legslip 23:15 26 Jul 2010

Update. That has reduced Vista to 7.5gb. Will now defrag the HD as perhaps this has left some holes?

MAT ALAN 23:20 26 Jul 2010

click here
WINsxs folder info here...

mooly 08:27 27 Jul 2010

Well I run Vista HP 32 bit and keep a tidy system. I don't use restore points preferring Acronis. I also don't use ANY 3rd party tools as I suspect they cause issues down the line.

My C drive Vista install takes up around 18gb fully patched and updated. I ran the SP1 and SP2 cleanups as and when SP's were installed.

In that 18gb is around 1.5gb of programs I use and around 1.5 gb of my own data and files.

I remember when I clean installed Vista that Vista alone with no updates etc took around 4.5 gb disk space.

I wouldn't advise touching the winsxs folder.

mooly 13:08 27 Jul 2010

Forgot to add my winsxs folder is 8.73gb... eek

Legslip 12:04 28 Jul 2010

Deleting system restore points has drastically reduced Winsxs. Wondering if switching off Sys Restore and using something like Acronis True Image Might be a better option?

mooly 12:55 28 Jul 2010

No system restore is what I do. I keep a daily running Acronis incremental backup starting a new sequence of weekly. I store these on the D partition on the laptop where they are instantly accessable if needed.

It also makes sense to have another external drive to put backups on too in case your HDD on the laptop fails. I don't do that and accept that I would have to reinstall Vista if that happened together with any applications. I do back up all personal data to flash memory though which is quick and easy.

Acronis is excellent... you never worry about any normal disasters as a full recovery is only a click away. I also keep a "Vista recovery image" on the D drive which is Vista fully updated and all service packs installed but no other apps loaded... so again a clean install is minutes away if needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017