viruuses on my outgoing mail not my doing

pinnicat 08:51 27 Jan 2004

just recently i have started getting mail returned from server that contains either "mailicious code " or virus" THAT I AM OBVIOUSLY NOT SENDING.so who is and how do i stop the *******s. also, though this may not be connected, i recently lost control of my optical mouse, with the cursor flying anywhere but where i tried to guide it.
PLEASE HELP. my concern is as much for other users as myself.

xania 08:59 27 Jan 2004

I have also started getting these and, by checking with my ISP, I can also see where i am 'sending' them. Unfortunately, your e-mail has been hi-jacked, and there seems little you can do about it. This is the way spammers are getting round the fact that they are getting blocked.

My ISP can only suggest a change of e-mail address - most helpful!! Otherwise, grin and bear it. The problem, of course, is when you start getting barred when sending genuine e-mails. If any-one out there HAS got a solution, no doubt the spammers will soon find a way round.

I THINK that the problem arises when you have a multipart e-mail address in the format [email protected]<ISP address> so that hi-jackers can set up their own nnnnnn part. Certainly, that's what's happened to me.

Hyperangelic 09:26 27 Jan 2004

There are a few viruses out there that hijack people's address lists - so what is happening is that someone you have once sent a mail to has this virus, and it is putting your address in the *from* box. You are not sending them, and most people will recognise this.

It can happen with any format of address, because it is nothing to do with your ISP, mailbox or e-mail. Someone else has been careless on the virus front. It should slow down gradually as the infected addresses are shut down. Until then, you just have to wait it out, and make sure your own virus definitions are up to date!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017