Virus/trojan threat warning scam?

montse 22:47 30 Nov 2009

Just received for the first time an alarming warning headed Message from Web page (unusually with initial capital for web) claiming that my computer was widely infected with trojans, worms and viruses and requesting me to return to System Security and "download it secure to your computer". Instead I immediately performed a quick spyware scan through FSecure, which found only one item of Riskware, namely Fraudtool.Win32.AGENT. FSecure then cleaned the computer. But still up came the Message from Webpage telling me that the computer was still infected and telling me to Return to System Security. I deleted this. Some messages looked as if they were coming from Windows but they did not look exactly like those I normally see.

Is this a scam designed to access my computer? Am I being paranoid? What would the Editor think I wonder?

Montse

MAT ALAN 22:51 30 Nov 2009

Fraudtool.Win32.Agent is not a virus but a program that was used to create and spread a rogue softwares. On some occassions, a popup alert about the detection of Fraudtool.Win32.Agent on your computer is caused by an infection of Trojan Zlob or Trojan Downloaders which will mislead computer users to download a bogus application and pay for the registered version of it.

click here

this is a possible resolve, superb tool if ya do'nt have it anyway...

gazzaho 23:30 30 Nov 2009

Yes these popups are a scam, they appear on some websites and try to scare you into clicking on them by stating your computer is infected, do not click on any links in them as doing so may lead to an infection, I just ignore any of these warning popups by closing the popup. Any time F-Secure has detected a security breach on my machine it has displayed a little popup on the lower right hand side of the screen just above the clock, which has said something along the lines of F-Secure detected/blocked the threat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone