Viruses/Malware. How many times YOU affected.

mooly 18:25 25 Aug 2009

How many times in say the last year has your security warned of a problem. Not talking about finding tracking cookies and things like that. I mean proper Viruses, Trojans etc.

GaT7 18:31 25 Aug 2009

Only once for me, using AVG free antivirus & Windows own buit-in firewall in XP Pro. G

rdave13 18:33 25 Aug 2009

Fortunately none.

norman47 18:38 25 Aug 2009

None here also.

Stuartli 18:51 25 Aug 2009

Avast! has warned of a Trojan about once every three months (usually in an e-mail) - it's removed with one click of the mouse.

cocteau48 18:58 25 Aug 2009

AVG has detected a couple of Trojans in the .exe of programs as soon as they were downloaded and prior to installation.

Just to keep you on your toes A Squared finds something almost every week and it is always turns out to be a false positive.

mfletch 18:58 25 Aug 2009

Hard question to answer as I use a few computers,

No1/ probably 2 a year {a Trojan of some sorts}

No2/ and No3/ {Test computers} I use these to test new software so get a few Viruses and Trojans often; but all depends on what Antivirus?Antispyware programs I have installed at the time,

Some get blocked some don;t

It all depends on your browsing habits but if your testing new AV/AS/ out you don;t want to be too careful or there would be no testing,

rawprawn 19:01 25 Aug 2009

None for a long time, it is some years since I was infected with anything serious.
Over the years I have used NOD, Avast,Zone Alarm, AVG, and KIS
I have noticed no real difference in any of these systems.
I only use KIS at the moment because I get it free of charge.I have from time to time had warnings from all of these systems.

DieSse 19:11 25 Aug 2009

Warned of a problem (mostly infected emails, but a couple of warnings about infected sites) probably 15-20 (I get a lot of spam)

Caught an infection - never in 10 years or more.

Personally I trust eset (NOD) security suite, and it's never let me down, so I'm not particularly careful.

mooly 19:23 25 Aug 2009

Thanks for the replies so far... all pretty much in line with my own experiences really. It must be 12 months or more since I had a warning of anything.
mfletch makes a valid point. I guess if you really want to test something you have to throw the worst at it.
I just want something that works and doesn't cause problems of it's own, which is all I seem to have been getting recently as a lot on here will know with a well known product.
Would you believe a security package can "break" windows Vista's defragmenter, or give error codes on windows updates etc etc.
So I wondered how much of a "real" threat there was. I have been using just Windows Defender and nothing else for quite a while, and with no problems, and tbh I didn't expect any really.
Security firms warn of "hundreds of new viruses daily", and that an unprotected PC is infected within minutes etc, but the reality seems somewhat different. I am sure if you went looking for trouble it would bite you and there is always the "unexpected" one of course.
Speaking for myself, I am uneasy without AV and so went back to a clean Vista image before trialling Microsofts own freebie. I would never have continued without anything more than Defender.

mooly 19:24 25 Aug 2009

Thanks for the replies so far... all pretty much in line with my own experiences really. It must be 12 months or more since I had a warning of anything.
mfletch makes a valid point. I guess if you really want to test something you have to throw the worst at it.
I just want something that works and doesn't cause problems of it's own, which is all I seem to have been getting recently as a lot on here will know with a well known product.
Would you believe a security package can "break" windows Vista's defragmenter, or give error codes on windows updates etc etc.
So I wondered how much of a "real" threat there was. I have been using just Windows Defender and nothing else for quite a while, and with no problems, and tbh I didn't expect any really.
Security firms warn of "hundreds of new viruses daily", and that an unprotected PC is infected within minutes etc, but the reality seems somewhat different. I am sure if you went looking for trouble it would bite you and there is always the "unexpected" one of course.
Speaking for myself, I am uneasy without AV and so went back to a clean Vista image before trialling Microsofts own freebie. I would never have continued without anything more than Defender.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?