Viruses and AVG

jz 17:56 23 Jun 2004

I have the free edition of AVG and I do a virus scan on my PC every day, and check for updates every day.

Every three weeks or so, the scan finds a virus file (usually a .EXE or a .ZIP) in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp (I have Windows XP). I use Outlook Express to look at email, but I never look at attachments, so wondered how they get there?

Gongoozler 18:19 23 Jun 2004

Try disabling System Restore before you remove these viruses. click here

Or with spaces added

htt p: // service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039?OpenDocument&src=sec_doc_nam

abbott8 19:15 23 Jun 2004

I wish you had given me this answer some time ago as I have been trying to get rid of a virus from a system restore file for about a month now. I finally got shot of it yesterday by reducing the space used by restore to its minimum level, letting it delete all the old restore files, and then putting it back to its normal level. thanks anyway.

Regards

Mark

Gongoozler 19:27 23 Jun 2004

Hi abbott8. I would have given this advice a month ago if I had seen the request for help. Unfortunately at that time I was relaxing on my boat on the Caldon canal ;-).

jz 20:53 23 Jun 2004

Thanks everyone. Are you sure that this folder C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp is part of the system restore? I can delete the virus file without any problems, and once I've deleted it, that the last problem I have with it. Three weeks or so afterwards when another virus file appears there, it has a different filename and is often a different type of virus. I'm wondering how it gets there in the first place.

Gongoozler 21:11 23 Jun 2004

Hi jz. I'm not familiar with Windows XP, but C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Temp is only a temp folder, and as such can be safely emptied. Some viruses use this location to plant themselves. e.g. [email protected]" title="http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]" TARGET="_new">click here. If you don't disable System Restore, then from my understanding cleaning the virus will still leave an infected file in the C:\_Restore folder waiting to reinfect your computer. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of the workings of Windows XP can explain better.

Gongoozler 21:15 23 Jun 2004
  jz 21:25 23 Jun 2004

Thanks Gongoozler.

I'm assuming that my PC isn't infected by a virus, it just happens to have a virus file on it, but since I haven't opened it, it can't infect the computer. I still don't know why AVG allowed it to get into the temp folder. Do other people find this happens on their PC? Do other AV programmes allow this to happen too? The most common virus that does this seems to be Netsky, but AVG was updated to detect these files ages ago, and I update daily.

bfc_tangerine 22:03 23 Jun 2004

I have been using AVG for approaching a year now and it is very good for a free AV program. But it does let viruses into your computer; it's all very well being able to close down system restore to remove the virus but you also lose all your restore points. A friend has recommended another free AV program, avast anti-virus, download from:

avast.com

I've only used it for a week and was very impressed with the wording when it caught a trojan, saying "a virus has been detected, there is no need to panic"...followed by easy instructions for removing it. Very user friendly!!

Anyone else using this? Is it as good as I've been told?

You could try this but might be worth waiting for some feedback from other forum users.

curlylad 01:14 24 Jun 2004

I know a lot of people who are raving about the merits of Panda Titanium AV at the moment why not check this out .

Gongoozler 09:10 24 Jun 2004

No only does Avast have a pop-up message when a virus is found, a friendly voice tells you what is happening as well ;-).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?