Virus on starting up

Ken_Aust 02:22 24 Mar 2009

when i first turn on the computer the screen is full of $ signs, i tried system restore
byt this screen muct be separate
and now i cant get into device manager to delete it
i think its the video driver
any help guys

rawprawn 08:14 24 Mar 2009

Have you tried a malware scan? if not download update and run these (Not at the same time) in Safe Mode
Malwarebytes click here
SuperAntispyware click here

rawprawn 08:20 24 Mar 2009

However I found this in Google, it may be worth a read although not very encouraging.
click here

DieSse 14:07 24 Mar 2009

More likely the graphics card than the driver in my experience (as per rawprawns link.

Try reseating the card - then try another one.

Ken_Aust 22:37 24 Mar 2009

I have managed to install Win XP I couldn't get Vista back, the virus screens are still sitting behind XP, I dont think its the graphic card, maybe the graphic driver, I will try today to change that. I need to get back my Vista, my hd has gone from 320 gig to 175 gig because of XP, Thanks guys for the help so far
i did use the programs you suggested and they found some malaware but not the main virus

MAT ALAN 23:02 24 Mar 2009

the virus screens are still sitting behind XP

If as you say you have put XP back you would need to format your HDD to do so which in turn would rid you of all or any virus infection.

If you cannot do a clean install of vista i would look at a possible hardware issue namelt your VGA card and not a software issue namely drivers...

DieSse 23:25 24 Mar 2009

"I dont think its the graphic card"

Why?

You said -

"when i first turn on the computer the screen is full of $ signs"

If you really mean that - during the text screen boot-up - then it's the card - the drivers are not even loaded at that time.

woodchip 23:30 24 Mar 2009

Have you tried tapping F5 when computer starts booting

woodchip 23:33 24 Mar 2009

As DieSse the F5 will get you into Safe Mode where Drivers for the Card are not loaded, it starts just using generic VGA drivers

Ken_Aust 02:59 25 Mar 2009

I'm convinced its the graphics driver, cause when it first starterd happening, i lost my graphics with a sign cant find graphic driver or something like that, and then another saying installing driver, I got my graphics back then, and then it froze, I rebooted and thats when the trouble started. What I need is to find out how i get to the splash screen which in my case is Compaq, which has verticle lines on, and the next screen after that which has the dollar signs that match the verticle lines. The others that are replacing their video card are probably replacing the faulty driver as well, thats why they think its the card. Sooooo how do i get rid of these two pages

DieSse 10:04 25 Mar 2009

"What I need is to find out how i get to the splash screen which in my case is Compaq"

The splash screen is just a page from the BIOS - if there were corruptions on it, then the graphics card is faulty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?