virus, spyware checker off-line

frostysnowman 18:54 17 Jul 2008

A friend has asked me to look mt his new (second hand) PC since it is full of junk and old programs. Can anybody advise of any good off-line virus/spyware checkers. The PC is not now connected to the Internet but was before my friend obtained it. Any advice appreciated.

MAT ALAN 19:02 17 Jul 2008

If there is nothing on there worth keeping, format and reinstall O/S, you can then be sure you have a fresh start...

mfletch 19:03 17 Jul 2008

Download this to a pen drive click here

Then load it to your friends computer and run it,

No updates are required

mfletch

ronalddonald 19:07 17 Jul 2008

mfletch i was going to say the same thing u beat me to it.

You could try this as well click here

save on a pen remeber only anti virus more than there will be conflicts

frostysnowman 13:56 18 Jul 2008

Thanks for your replies.
I tried the link given by mfletch but the link did not seem to work.
I am also confused about how to go about installing an anti-virus checker on my pen drive. I tried installing AVGfree8.0 but it came back that it could only be installed on a local drive. Any advice appreciated.

mfletch 14:10 18 Jul 2008

The link is working,

You just download DRWeb to a CD or pen drive and then load it to the infected computer,s desk top then double click it and it will start,

kalignorgna 15:51 18 Jul 2008

you do know that you can use normal AV offline don't you?? just install any AV and do a scan simple, if u don't whant to connect to net just buy a copy of pca it prity much allways has av on it. oh and by the way when formating ur hard drive with a normal formating tool u can still recover the "formated" work easly since there are now loads of programs that do that sort of thing.

kalignorgna 15:52 18 Jul 2008

u just download and select the usb drive as desinatiion simple as.

frostysnowman 16:23 18 Jul 2008

Thanks for your replies.
I do not know what happened before with the link to DrWebb but like mfltech says it does work. Thanks again.

tullie 17:38 18 Jul 2008

You can use any anti virus or spyware programme offline.

mfletch 17:42 18 Jul 2008

You can use any antivirus>antispyware program offline but if you have just installed them they most likely are not up to date,

DRWeb downloads fully up to date with the latest definitions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017