Virus in software program

ronec 14:36 22 Aug 2014

I have some software on a usb stick. When I load it, it adds a file to the install list. This contains four Trojans. I cannot, (do not know how to) get into the program to delete this file. I can delete it when it installs, using Malwarebytes, but when I try to install it again, the file pops open. Is it possible to delete the virus from where it is hidden in the program, or is that very complicated?

onthelimit1 14:47 22 Aug 2014

Scan the drive with MBAM as here.

ronec 16:36 22 Aug 2014

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately MBAM did not find anything. Neither did Superantispyware, not in the program. SAS found the problems in the pop out file, and deleted them, but when installed again, the problem file was back. This is why I was wondering whether it was possible, someway, of removing it from the program. No big deal if not, I will just delete everything.

iscanut 16:57 22 Aug 2014

You have used malware checkers, but have you also scanned with an anti virus program as well ?

ronec 17:13 22 Aug 2014

Yes, done both, with current updates. The pop out file is hidden in the program folder and even though I can delete it when it opens, I cannot get into the program to find it in there. Neither can the anti malware and spy software.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:26 22 Aug 2014

Right click the program file on the USB stick and select scan with Malwarebtytes.

ronec 18:31 22 Aug 2014

Yes done that, found nothing, but it is there, must be well hidden.

rdave13 19:03 22 Aug 2014

Is the folder on the usb drive a zip folder? If it is then extract it to the usb drive. You should now have an .exe file on the drive. Try scanning that with antivirus/malware programs.

wee eddie 19:37 22 Aug 2014

I think that I'd just Format the Stick and start again. It's more trouble than it's worth

ronec 19:57 22 Aug 2014

It was a zip, but I have unzipped to the usb stick. As it is a 'Portable file' I have run the program from the stick. This is when the virus popped out. I can delete the file that pops out, but next time the program runs, the virus comes out. I think it is easier to down the wee eddie route and format the stick, after removing the other things I have on it. Thanks all, seems like it will impossible to get into the program files to delete the file that keeps coming out.

lotvic 20:13 22 Aug 2014

You have left us guessing in the dark... Please tell us:

Where you d/loaded the program from and:

What is the name of the program?

What is the name of the file that pops out?

What are the names of the four Trojans?

What are the names of what SAS finds? ("SAS found the problems in the pop out file, and deleted them, but when installed again, the problem file was back"

Also tell us which op sys you are using - W7, W8, W8.1 or what?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?