Virus that shuts pc down !

ditchmonsterob 08:30 16 Aug 2006

Im hoping sombody will be able help as im getting nowhere with my virus scan people.
we have had a message that we have a virus from our McAfee security suite then within seconds it shut the pc down as if i had just turned the power from the plug socket off & wont restart untill the power has been off for upto an hour !
Everytime i try to check with the virus scan it gets to the same point (around 75,000 files checked ) the same thing happens a total shut down. I have tried using some of the free scans available from Microsoft but again same result.
Id love to be able to find this virus to have a chance of getting rid of it but how do i do i when as soon as i find it the whole sytem crashes.

someone help i think im going crazy with this ! !

Rob

ditchmonsterob 08:55 16 Aug 2006

Does nobody have any ideas ???

ArrGee 08:59 16 Aug 2006

Can't provide any help, but interested in what others say as my pc has started doing exactly the same.

VoG II 09:15 16 Aug 2006

Try restarting in Safe Mode click here then scanning with McAfee.

ditchmonsterob 09:20 16 Aug 2006

I think its a real nasty bug of some sort & to be honest McAfee said " yeah im sure we can fix this phone our technical team who will remotly check it out & get it sorted..... what they didnt tell me when i bought the package designed to stop all this cr*p is that this service costs from $65 which im livid about i think its extotion if you pay for the software to protect your machine it should do just that & if somthing happens that the system fails they should make every attempt to sort it as we aer the ones paying for the damn service.

anyone else had simular issues ?

ditchmonsterob 09:21 16 Aug 2006

Thanks VoG i will try when i get home from work

vinnyT 14:16 16 Aug 2006

If VoG™s suggestion dosn't work, then (still in safe mode) try using an online scanner;

TrendMicro's Homecall click here, this requires either ie or firefox.

eTrust Web Scanner click here, this requires ie 4.0 or greater.

Hope this helps.

ditchmonsterob 15:30 16 Aug 2006

hey vinny

Thanks for the suggestion i will try it when i get home in safe. I did try the trendmicro scan in the current setting but it just did it the same thing. i will post the results.

Rob

ditchmonsterob 20:17 16 Aug 2006

Tried all of the above advise nothing worked its still the same shuts straight down if anything its shutting down quicker (IE with on 10,000 files scanned)
any more thoughts guys ?

VoG II 20:22 16 Aug 2006

Run HJT click here and post your log on the MWR forum click here

ditchmonsterob 20:37 16 Aug 2006

is this going to be easy as the info on there says do not try this on your own be in contact with an expert (which im obviously not !)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone