Virus sent to my pc - AVG couldn't get rid

TopBloke37 16:22 27 Aug 2003

Last night I was "sent" a virus via a emailed picture. I ran AVG and it duly found it but was unable to repair, quarantine or destroy it. The title of the infected file is C:\WINDOWS\ SYSTEM32\OSJC.EXE the net result was that I wasn't able to access the internet and ended up doing a System Restore to the day before.This has at least got my net access back up but I still have the virus (AVG called it worm) Does anyone know what this virus is, and how serious it could be and how I could get rid? I did have Norton System Works 2003 installed but recently got sent a virus that disabled that totally and when you try and re-install Norton now the pc just turns itself off and won't have anything to with re-installing it. Any advice peeps?

Jester2K II 16:26 27 Aug 2003

the file name is random so that tells us nothing.

What does AVG call it?

Try running Stinger click here to see if that detects and removes it.

alan 2273 16:59 27 Aug 2003

try a free online virus scan.
Enter TREND MICRO into Google click on Trend Micro homepage then click Scan now this should tell you what the virus is and how to get rid of it

accord 17:27 27 Aug 2003

symantec do an online virus checker also

click here

TopBloke37 19:03 27 Aug 2003

Thanks guys - the Symantec one didn't work - I ran the other 2 - McAfee Stinger first then Trend Micro, as the latter didn't find any I take it the Stinger did the trick!!

Gaz 25 19:09 27 Aug 2003

The OSJC.EXE file that you claim is a virus is not in the wild, so it must be an 'false alarm'.

If it is not a false alarm it could be running with windows?

Is it running in task manager: OSJC.EXE?

If so stop the service and delete the file, as it is NOT a known windows file.

Gaz 25 19:10 27 Aug 2003

Is OSJC.EXE still on your HDD?

If so remove it, it is NOT a needed windows file.

Jester2K II 21:24 27 Aug 2003

"The OSJC.EXE file that you claim is a virus is not in the wild, so it must be an 'false alarm'."

How can you say that?

Many viruses use random names when they arrive on your PC so you CANNOT state that just because a filename is not listed as "in the wild" it is NOT a virus.

It is a dangerous assumption that ALL viruses have KNOWN filename(s).

From someone who runs a "security" website thats a "school boy error".

Doesn't help that on the next line you then contradict yourself and then twist again...

Gaz 25 21:43 27 Aug 2003

AVG has Unknown Virus detection known as heuristic, it has been known to make mistakes as also has other virus detection programs.

Look I had a file that was SAFE, and .inf file, and oddly enough AVG detected it as a Virus, so did Panda.

However if the virus is REAL, then you should remove it.

However to be sure do an online scan TopBloke click here

If the virus is 'known' it will remove it, if it is NOT 'known' you can e-mail it panda and panda will send you a removal file.

Sorry Jester, but I had to rule out it could be a mistake, if not I said he should close the running process and remove the file.

Gaz 25 21:45 27 Aug 2003

Quote: 'Thanks guys - the Symantec one didn't work - I ran the other 2 - McAfee Stinger first then Trend Micro, as the latter didn't find any'

Look: Trend Micro (latter) DIDNT find any,

This RULES out it was NOT a KNOWN virus!!!

Thats why I said AVG could be mistaken.

Gaz 25 21:47 27 Aug 2003

Also, I do have contacts in the antivirus industry, there is NO known virus that uses the file Top Bloke says AVG is detecting.

It still could however be a virus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017