Virus scanning and restore points

Andknig 21:13 12 Oct 2003

Just a quick 'I wonder....' question please. If a virus/trojan/etc. gains access to my computer, I have now realised that to remove it I have to shut down system restore and run the removal program - no problem. When I run my weekly virus check should I then, therefore, shut down system restore to enable a full scan in case of any latent viruses etc ?
While we're at it, is it possible to back up system restore points to CD etc. for future use? Thanks.

powerless 21:18 12 Oct 2003

Your virus scanner should scan the restore folders.

SR makes a restore of the critical files so, if your virus scanner detects nothing then the SR files should not be infected as all it has done is copied the critical files (make sense?)

But the AV should scan the SR files and folders.

It has been assummed that if the SR files and folder are infected with a virus, you have to delete all SR points to delete th virus. But actually you do not have to delete all SR files - just the infected ones which the AV scanner should how (the infected folder, file)

"When I run my weekly virus check should I then, therefore, shut down system restore to enable a full scan in case of any latent viruses etc ?" - No your virus scanner should scan the SR.

MAJ 21:20 12 Oct 2003

You don't need to turn off SR to scan, Andknig, if there is a virus in there your anti-virus will pick it up. As SR files are protected, the AV software can only report an infected file, it can't do anything about it, hence the need to flush the SR Points by turning off SR if a virus is discovered in there. Not sure about your second question, I've never thought about that one before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?