Virus recovery

joelbyrne 22:04 15 Aug 2010

Hi guys, my sister recently asked me to fix her laptop (acting strange and slow) so I did the usual procedures. Ive ran antivirus (malwarebytes) which discovered 21 infections in her system 8 of which were trojans! Ive d/loaded and installed up to date realtime virus protection, ran disk cleanup also ran auslogics defrag tool, ran MRT from CMD to double check, optimised bios (del on startup). After all that its running a hell of a lot smoother but every time you overload it with commands it just crashes? Ive checked the cpu usage and physical memory and both are high (ram 70%). What can I do to speed it up and stop the freezing??? Any advice would be a great help! Thanks, Joel

birdface 22:24 15 Aug 2010

If nothing running System Idle process should be showing about 96% that is normal.
Anything else using up a lot of the CPU let us know what.

birdface 22:32 15 Aug 2010

You could try Chkdsk.
My Computer.
Right click C Drive.
properties.
Tools.
Check Now and tick both boxes.
Once you reboot Chkdsk will start and take about an hour or so.
About 13 Windows updates from last week may need installing.
Maybe run C Cleaner to get rid of any junk.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:07 15 Aug 2010

but every time you overload it crashes

Overheating?

Suck the dirt out of the grills using a vacuum cleaner.

onthelimit 08:39 16 Aug 2010

I've found that, frequently, the only solution is a clean install have used Files and Setting Transfer Wizard to save those elements. I also use the free Driver Max to save the drivers. Saves a lot of time searching afterwards for the non microsoft ones.

joelbyrne 10:28 16 Aug 2010

Thanks guys, its the ram which is high seems as though its trying to compute too much even at idle. I compared it to my own laptop which is at 29% at idle? I tried chkdsk no errors found? Its not cutting out and rebooting, just freezing and takes forever to load programs. Even when you just curse over an icon it takes at least 15 seconds for the description to pop up? Do you think the numerous infections could have done some serious damage?. Thanks again.

birdface 10:49 16 Aug 2010

I suppose if you have the original XP disc you could try sfc /scannow.

You could try Winaso Optimizer free it will only repair 10 items at a time but you can run it as often as you like.

You want the trial version if you are thinking of using it.

click here

Maybe switch of system restore and switch it back on the next time you reboot.

joelbyrne 21:59 17 Aug 2010

Thanks for all the comments guys it seems to be getting better I ran another programme called superantispyware which found 253 adware and tracking cookies also downloaded a cool bundle of programmes called "wise disk cleaner" and "wise registry cleaner" theyve worked great now its just constantly downloading windows updates like buteman said. Theres been 7 so far. Id highly recommend the 2 wise cleaners! theyre brilliant! Thanks again guys!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017