virus question

suzie005 16:55 09 Jun 2003

Went on the pc this afto and found an icon on desktop with a .exe ending.checked up the name of the program and it came up as a virus.ran trend online scanner and it found 3 viruses,2 of which I got rid of and the other one -joke crzyicons.A.and in the _restore\archive\FS136 folder - couldn’t be cleaned cos it was being used.i then ran AVG which hadn’t picked a thing up before and it never again.tried mcafee online scanner and it told me I had a completely different virus and the one I just mentioned didn’t come up.this one is Downloader-CO and nowhere in google could I find a virus of that name.it’s in _restore\archive\FS1693.CAB.wot I do want to know is why I’m getting varying results and considering I hadn’t got rid of the first one what happened to it? Shall I flush out system restore folder to get rid of it?

cheers

sue

Gaz 25 17:04 09 Jun 2003

No anti-virus can clean up viruses easily in restore files, yes do delete all your system restore points by stoping system resore and starting it again.

AVG should have detected the virus, and AVG give the virus differnet names to other virus companies.

suzie005 17:15 09 Jun 2003

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well AVG let me down so i'll be mailing them and looking for other a/v software.cheers

powerless 17:19 09 Jun 2003

Have you updated AVG?

Danoh 17:38 09 Jun 2003

Symantec, makers of probably the top A/V software apart from McAfee, provides an online virus check;
click here

Be prepared to let it run online for an hour, depending on the speed of your PC.

suzie005 17:41 09 Jun 2003

i didn't use that today but i have done once before.the mcafee one took ages to do.don't know how long cos i left it and went to get some sun

suzie005 17:43 09 Jun 2003

ALWAYS up to date.i told AVG that in my email just now

The Spires 17:45 09 Jun 2003

It looks like you viruses have gone and are only residing in your restore files, as Gaz 25 says, go into system properties/system restore/ turn of system restore (that will delete your restore files, along with the virus!), reboot and switch restore back on. Then do another virus scan.

suzie005 17:52 09 Jun 2003

yeah done it.still to do ANOTHER scan tho

suzie005 18:39 09 Jun 2003

got the all clear

Gaz 25 22:53 09 Jun 2003

What was with the e-mail?

I dont quite get what you are on about?

Regards,
Gareth

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?