Virus problems

lee_robinson1983 09:03 27 Apr 2006

I recently set up a network at home on my Dad's computer. I got a lot of problems so installed the following afterwards:

Avast Antivirus
McAfee Firewall
Ad Adaware Spyware
Spybot Search and Destroy Anti-Malware

All these have helped a lot but I still get a few warning messages mainly about malware and spyware plus the homepage has changed and I cant change it to anything else.

Any suggestions anyone?

VoG II 09:07 27 Apr 2006

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

lee_robinson1983 11:28 27 Apr 2006

Thanks VoG I will try that when I get home. Do I need to uninstall Spybot Search + destroy first?

VoG II 12:42 27 Apr 2006

No you can keep all your other anti-malware programs.

dazza39 13:12 27 Apr 2006

Thats interesting i will try and download this program myself,i have a similar problem..somehow a Trojen download,got past my Firewall and anti-virus and downloaded a third party program called "SpyFalcon"claiming i should clean my PC as it was infected..everyone be careful of this Microsoft Antispyware detected it and removed it,but when i went to re-start,problem was still there???,then i ran Ad-Ware it detected 27 critiacl objects including this SpyFalcon,so i deleted and cleaned..but had to go back to work,lol,so i'll re-start tonight and see if that cleared it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:15 27 Apr 2006

Just for info...firewalls will NOT stop Trojans. If you give the programme permission to run then no firewall in the world will stop it. Permission is usually given inadvertently which is why I keep banging on about common sense and not to rely on loads of protection.

G

lee_robinson1983 16:54 27 Apr 2006

dazza39 that happens with me too but with Quake Spyware claiming I should clean my PC

dazza39 16:58 27 Apr 2006

Yeah its annoying...haven't come across it before though...hope the steps i took above clear it.

dazza39 19:09 27 Apr 2006

Ok i downloaded program above,scan it found threats cleaned them etc,but my browser is still being hijacked by a default site windowdefender,any ideas how i can get rid of this???

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:20 27 Apr 2006

Download Ewido, run and clean all it finds.

G

dazza39 19:33 27 Apr 2006

Do i need to re-start after ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?