Virus Problems

homer4god 17:39 23 Jul 2004

No matter how many time you tell people to get virus protection and keep it updated they don't listen.
Anyway a friend of mine has been having major probs with the pc, so I went to have a look.
The system had Norton 2003 installed but never updated. He then put Norton system works on and later tells me it 'hung' half was through installing.
Anyway Norton will not do anything at all.
The system had the Sassar E virus on it. I had to download the removal tool from AVG and it found and removed it from about 1000 files (probably more!!)
The problem now is when the system is started Norton puts up an alert saying the product settings have been changed and it will revert the system back, but on restart it is the same message over and over.
I tried reinstalling Systemworks it installs ok but no programs run when selected. I have tried removing Systemworks with the disk and add/remove programs app but it always starts up. I looked at system restore but it was disabled. can anyone give me some pointers apart from getting brighter friends.

stalion 17:54 23 Jul 2004

is it xp? try running a checkdisk first to see if there are any file problems

stalion 18:02 23 Jul 2004

also try a seperate virus scan click here

homer4god 19:07 23 Jul 2004

It is XP home Stalion I am just going to try the checkdisk now, i will let you know

homer4god 06:58 24 Jul 2004

Right I have run checkdisk, Norton still won't open. has anyone any idea on a decent anti virus.
I also tried to run msconfig the screen opens and then closes straight away before I get time to look at it.
Has anyone got any ideas?

Brummie_Roy 07:40 24 Jul 2004

AVG is a great FREE anti-virus or I use eTrust EZ
you will find a link at click here
I never use any Norton software can cause loads of problems

TommyRed 10:16 24 Jul 2004

Can you remove it in 'safe mode' and then replace it with the AVG free edition or one of the others with good recommendations. HTH TR

bof:) 12:50 24 Jul 2004

Hi homer4god,

it may be a good idea to get a free registery cleaner and run it.

I used Norton a few times but eventually opted for AVG because Nortons slowed my PC down.

When I uninstalled Nortons there were a lot of Symantec and Nortons files and folders left behind in the registery. Once I'd cleaned these out all was fine.

(as I do not use XP I'm not sure what the methord id for cleaning the registery but I'm sure the wonderful people on here will be able to tell you).

Mike

homer4god 14:08 24 Jul 2004

I installed AVG and run that, 36 virus' found and hopefully removed. I can get into msconfig now and stopped norton starting up on boot.
The problem now is removing norton altogether from the system. anyone got any ideas?

I will try to get a registry cleaner bof:) cheers

Thanks to everyone for the input so far I think we are getting there slowly.

jonnytub 14:10 24 Jul 2004
  stalion 14:34 24 Jul 2004

you will need to run a defrag when possible because of the amount of files affected in your original post.Also if you run the virus checker I posted earlier it removes viruses and trojans if you have any left.Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017