Virus problem - panic!

Liteman 20:33 02 Aug 2009

Hi - I was looking for help on sorting out an 'extend.dat' problem on my desktop, Outlook 2003 and suddenly Windows Security flashed up with 5 viruses in Shared documents and 4 in My Documents. Kaspersky hadn't picked up anything.

It recommend clicking a 'Star Protection' button to erase all threats (setup_build7_172.exe) but when I came out of the option, it said to avoid PC crash, to continue.

A Google search of the .exe file wasn't much help - do I have a disaster on my hands?

woodchip 20:48 02 Aug 2009

not necessarily,Have you tried a online scan? Some hear you can try without loading click here=
It will load some files but these you can delete after

birdface 20:49 02 Aug 2009

[Windows Security flashed up with 5 viruses ]
What windows security are you using.
Maybe download Malwarebytes free update and run it.

woodchip 20:53 02 Aug 2009

You should only be running one Anti-Virus at a time when loaded on to the Hard Drive. So if you have the Windows AV and Kaspersky that will most likely be your problem

Liteman 20:58 02 Aug 2009

I guess it's just the standaard Windows Security, the one with the shield in 4 colours! I've got Kaspersky Internet Security 2009, which isn't reporting any problems. I've updated it (though it was done this morning) and I'm currently doing a full scan.

Seems odd that the list of 9 problems reported is in a drop down box which displays the first 4, but it won't scroll down to let me see what the remainder are - each time I try to scroll down, it flicks into this setup_build exe file.

Additionally, Kaspersky says there are no keyloggers, which is one mentined by Windows Security.

Hmmm.

woodchip 21:04 02 Aug 2009

Did the Box actually say Virus's?

birdface 21:04 02 Aug 2009

[Windows Security flashed up with 5 viruses] If you have no other windows security programs downloaded You should not have got any warnings from windows.
I would not bother with Kaspersky I would just download and update malwarebytes before you run it.

click here Mind and pick the free version.

Liteman 21:07 02 Aug 2009

It says 'Your computer is infected' and lists Magic DVD Ripper, Backdoor.Win32.Haxdoor.gu, Trojan HorseIRC/backdoor.SdBot4.FRV, Trojan.Qoologic- Keylogger and AdvWare.Hotbar.

I can't see what the rest are, but it also says against Hard Drive C - 9 viruses found, against Shared Docs - 5 and My Docs - 4 found.

Liteman 21:15 02 Aug 2009

I've got Malwarebytes, tried to update it but Kaspersky said it was suspicious and suggested quaranteening it! I'm scanning with the existing settings anyway.

birdface 21:22 02 Aug 2009

If you have problems on your computer Malwarebytes will help clean it .If you downloaded the free version that I sent Ignore Kaspersky and update and run it while you can.

Liteman 21:23 02 Aug 2009

Doing it as we speak

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires