virus problem/ need to master reset

dreamachine 09:51 09 Jan 2008

im really desperate my pc had a virus that effected everything i used a program to get rid of the virus but because it was in all my programs i am unable to use anything ive even tried re installing the programs but still cannot use them.my only option seems to be a master reset to solve this. can anyone please tell me how this is done because im close to throwing away the pc

Technotiger 10:07 09 Jan 2008

If using XP - try a System Restore back to before you got the virus. Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore and then restore to an earlier date - make sure you choose a date that is shown in BOLD print.

johnnyrocker 10:11 09 Jan 2008

how did the virus get in in the first place? what antivirus do you have if any?

johnny.

RobCharles1981 10:12 09 Jan 2008

Also dreammachine, What Antivirus program was you using in trying to zap this virus?

dreamachine 10:12 09 Jan 2008

ive tried that can only go back to december the 17th my pc got infected dec 16th. wont go back any further

dreamachine 10:14 09 Jan 2008

i used ad aware at first but virus kept coming bk so used avg which found it in everything so cannot use anything so i uninstalled avg but still cannot use anything

Technotiger 10:15 09 Jan 2008

As the other members have asked ... what program did you use to try to clear the virus?

dreamachine 10:17 09 Jan 2008

avg

Technotiger 10:18 09 Jan 2008

Hmm, you should not have un-installed AVG - it is meant to find the virus, it then usually gives you options about what to do with the virus, ie - put into Vault or Cure or similar. Ad-Aware is not anti-virus. Can you re-install AVG, if so let it check again.

Technotiger 10:22 09 Jan 2008

If you can re-install AVG, then go off-line, then Disable your System Restore and run a full anti-virus check with AVG. If it again finds anything you should either get AVG to Delete it, Cure it or put it in the Vault - Once in the Vault your computer is safe from that virus.

Once cleared, re-start System Restore and then you can go back on-line.

Technotiger 10:24 09 Jan 2008

re-start System Restore ... should read re-enable System Restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?