virus problem

halken 22:24 27 Jul 2010

when i start up a box pops up saying error then underneath its says check out click here

when i cancel the box another one pops up and says

hey man timer is 10

ive ran avg ive installed ccleaner but it still appears evey time i start up then avg kicks in with either 2 or 3 warnings for trojan horse infections. i heal these but they reappear when the laptop is restarted any help would be great as my grandkids like to play on the computer

xp with service pack 3
cheers Kenny

birdface 22:27 27 Jul 2010

Update and run Malwarebytes free version and see if that finds any problems.

click here

Ashrich 22:40 27 Jul 2010

Turn off system restore first , the trojan is probably hiding there and restoring itself after cleaning . When you are satisfied it has gone , you can turn system restore back on again . Do this before using any malware cleaner or antivirus .

Ashley

halken 08:59 28 Jul 2010

ashley i ran malawarebytes before i saw your post and this morning the popup still appear but when i run malawarebytes it doesnt find any problems any ideas what to do next

Ashrich 20:55 28 Jul 2010

I would suggest downloading the free versions of both SuperAntispyware and PREVX 3.0 , save them to the desktop and then reboot into safe mode with networking ( keep tapping f8 as the PC is posting ) . Unpack the programs and run and update them , then scan the PC using one then the other , it will take some time , get them both to do a full scan , one of them should find what is bothering you .

Ashley

lotvic 00:36 29 Jul 2010

That's a bad site, is listed as Threat: Exploit / Browser hijack by threatlog.com
Server is in Ukraine according to 'Whois'

Someone else, on Yahoo answers, has got the same problem click here

It's on the Malwaredomainlist.com for domains that direct users to, or host, malicious software
click here down near bottom several entries at date 2010/07/24_10:30

Also halfway down list on click here
New additions of malicious and rogue sites for July 25, 2010 which may compromise your PC Security. Some may contain ‘driveby’ downloads, trojans, backdoor bots, rootkits, rogue programs (PUP’s) and all are to be considered a threat.

Time to really run all your anti stuff.

I'm sure someone who is better than me at it will post on best way to tackle this. one

Seems to spread via facebook and msn mostly.

lotvic 00:42 29 Jul 2010

ps I have asked FE to remove the link to that bad site - don't want anyone to be clicking on it :O

halken 11:19 29 Jul 2010

sucess thanks for all your help

Forum Editor 16:47 29 Jul 2010

to edit individual posts to remove links, but in this case the link appears to be to a dead address, so it's not a problem.

lotvic 17:04 29 Jul 2010

That's good, it's dead now. Must have been shut down :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017