Virus Paranoia

The Paul 09:43 27 Jan 2004

The new PCA DVD has an antivirus package from Command. Actual package is Command 2004. Do any of you wizards have any views on this system. I presently use AVG which I think is doing its job. Just wondered thats all.

Diemmess 10:38 27 Jan 2004

My view is stay with what you have, leave experimenting with other A.V. programmes to others.

This mag, offer may be just what someone wants in a hurry and have never had cover from any AV application before.

Unadventurous I know, but a quiet life without tears and ordinary virus worries, leaves time for using your computer for more interesting things

The Paul 10:57 27 Jan 2004

I tend to agree. I'm having crash time with my main PC system at the moment and the view is its either a dickey memory stick or a virus which hasnt been found yet.

I just wondered if anyone had heard of this and what was the one versus the other thinking of the folks in here. Cheers - Paul

Chegs ® 11:03 27 Jan 2004

Personally,I wont give Norton's software "house room" A quick search of PCA pages shows its presence in a high proportion of problems. :-)

rawprawn 11:30 27 Jan 2004

I tried Command but I un installed it, among other things it seemed to produce some spy ware. I run Avast (free version) & I am very satisfied. Stay with what you have if you are satisfied. I have tried quite a lot of "Free" programs from the DVD's with PCA but I have ended up getting rid of nearly all for one reason or another. I now don't bother with them at all.

The Paul 11:34 27 Jan 2004

I agree with your views of Norton. I found everything from them a real pain. I paid good money for their Works kit a few years ago and binned it after a few weeks. McAfee were no better either.

rawprawn - good info - thanks. I thought it was just me who doesnt use the stuff on the PCA discs. Glad I'm not totally alone. It always looks good - but other than WinZip and Mailwasher, I dont think I ever install anything.

johnnyrocker 11:51 27 Jan 2004

as this is about virii and not wishing to hi jack the post, this was received at work this morning so get updating,

johnny.

Please be aware that the worm W32/MyDoom-a is currently propagating rapidly on the Internet at this time.

Whilst our Mail Server is doing its best to detect and remove this virus from any incoming messages, it is still possible that you may receive this through other means (eg: Hotmail, etc.).

Please, as always, ensure that you do not open any suspicious attachments either from people you do or do not know as this worm will spread via your address book.

If you have any queries please immediately call the Helpdesk on 2585 and they will assist you as required.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Chegs ® 12:52 27 Jan 2004

My first puter had Mcafee installed from its restore cd's,I used it for a while after I ceased using the pc,but an " AV tester" I tried was let straight thru with nothing mentioned by the Mcafee,and it was using more resources than the OS.I changed to AVG and have used it since.

The Paul 13:14 27 Jan 2004

Chegs - thats nearly the same with me too. I noticed that my system was dying on its feet without anything running except O/S and McAfee. I was advised here in the Forum to go for AVG and have been there ever since, happily I must add but my vendor has worried me by saying no to the memory problem and a possible yes to a virus.

Diemmess 17:54 28 Jan 2004

The discussion on this forum would be poorer without the vast number of ways that Windows (any version) can slow up to the point of despair.

If your virus protection is based on this trouble I think it is unlikely to be caused by a virus, since you already have AVG.

So many bits of software/hardware are not up to standard and can make your HD untidy and full of conflicts very easily. I would start thinking things through for the changes you have made in the last month or two.

Gaz 25 23:43 28 Jan 2004

I would suggest Panda Internet Security Platinum.

click here

It has been reliable, quick and detects all viruses that have been thrown at it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?