VIRUS on main computer

sdmck 15:18 09 Dec 2009

I have just found out I have a virus on my computer and cannot connect to the internet nor even use word. Cannot in fact get into any programmes at all. Unfortunately I had let my antivurus expire. How can I rectify this if I cannot even get on to the internet to download another antivirus programme? Will have lost everything on my computer ?

Any help anyone ?

birdface 15:19 09 Dec 2009

Try running your security programs in safe mode.[Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts.]

chub_tor 15:23 09 Dec 2009

You are on the internet now so you must have access to it somehow. Use the machine that you are on to download Microsoft Security Essentials click here this has antivirus as well as Spyware detection. Transfer it from the macnine you are using today to the machine with the virus using a memory stick and then run it. If you can delete you expired anti-virus before you run MSE so much the better as two antivirus programmes on one machine tend to clash. You will not have lost everything on your computer, but some of it may have been damaged.

sdmck 15:44 09 Dec 2009

I think i am in the process of rectifying it now thanks.Connected again in Safe Mode as suggested and was then able to do a system restore which I had not previously been able to get into. I was then able to access "word" and the internet.

Am about to try what chub_tor suggested.

Thanks both for all your help. If the problem persists I will get back to you but for now = thanks.

PS I am new to this website so I hope my reply gets through to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?